Ryan's 80 Build/Swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^^That means a lot coming from the guy that built that 40!

Last edited:
Update us on where you are with the 80 Ryan hope all is well with you bud, Happy New Year :cheers:

Happy New Year!

Let's see... I think I finished most things last April and began to drive it in May. I quickly found out the hard way that there's too much restriction in the 4core aluminum radiator for the plastic Duramax fan. It ended up eating through the radiator during some spirited driving. The radiator was a total loss and I ended up replacing the fan with a discontinued 20-inch steel unit from eBay.

I ended up running a 3" pipe from the hx35 back to the firewall and down through the inner fender. It then goes straight back to a side dump in front of the passenger rear tire. I built a custom slider that has a kick-out right next to the exhaust so that it has enough clearance.

I'm running 15 psi from the turbo. It spools pretty fast and I have not had any issues once I got oiling figured out. I originally fabbed up a plate for the oil inlet side and tapped it to use the stock GM fittings. The stock GM feed line cracked on the flare and developed a leak. I ended up buying a generic turbo feed line kit off of Amazon with fittings made for the hx35 and haven't had any leaks since. Under hard throttle, smoke clears up fast and EGTs stay in the 7-800 range.

Cooling has been an issue. It gets a little hot when it's stuck or bogged down and working hard. There's a lot of rust in the system from the block. I tried to clean it out really well when the block was apart, but I apparently didn't do a very good job. I've done a couple of flushes and I'm about to do another one. There's a bypass hose off of the water pump that can be modified to maximize coolant flow through the radiator and I will be making that modification during the next flush. I also need to put a shroud on it to help pull air through the radiator more efficiently when sitting. I could go electric fans, but there's nothing out there that moves as much air as this fan with the severe duty clutch I have installed.

I had some fueling issues at SCC. The stock lift pumps are known to be inadequate. My fuel pressure gauge was occasionally dropping to 0 psi on the last day and causing some stumbling issues. It would recover after turning it off for a few minutes, but still had trouble just maintaining any pressure. I replaced it with a huge holley pump and an external regulator. I set it to 7 psi and it stays at 7 psi.

I ended up going with a 3" Dobinson heavy lift and IMS shocks. I wanted to go lower, but I needed to make room between the front drive shaft and the exhaust crossover. With the 1.25" body lift, it feels pretty high. There's a lot of body roll, so I kept the front sway bar and used pins so that I can disconnect it when needed. I also swapped the alloy rims for steel since the alloy rims were discontinued and I needed a spare.

I still have some things to finish up. I want to build disconnects for the rear sway bar and put it back on. I need to add some adjustable panhard bars (it's time for bushings anyway). I built a rear bumper and sliders, but I still need a front bumper. I need a platform/drawers in the rear because I'm tired of having to constantly move stuff to go from driving to sleeping duties. I need to install an adapter to get the tachometer back. The speedometer needs to be corrected. I need to schedule a trip to the tint shop. Cruise control never worked because the TC proximity sensor failed. I'm going to try to wire cruise off of the output speed sensor on the transmission. I also have a valve cover that started weeping a little oil. It's not bad, but it gets onto the exhaust manifold and stinks. I'm putting the repair off because the injector lines have to be pulled to fix it and I just had all of that apart fixing some fuel leaks a few months ago. I will need to reinstall A/C lines and get that system in shape this spring.

I went on a mountain bike trip to Mulberry Gap in November and drove the 80. It's about 4.5 hours each way. It was a pleasure to drive and scoots through the mountains without any complaints. It is a pleasure to drive on the road and has plenty of reserve to pass cars when needed. I prefer to keep it on the back roads. I've taken it up to 90 mph on the interstate, but it just feels uncomfortable to me at those speeds. I love it at 75 and under. I get 16 mpg running quick trips locally and I can get just north of 20 mpg running 55-60mph back roads longer distances.

Here's a couple of pictures from November with the bike I ended up destroying at Mulberry. I went out and bought an Intense after the 1st day doing Windy Gap. I broke my shifter and the front brake caliper, then I smoked the rear brake.

IMG_20211122_163059.jpg

IMG_20211119_171620.jpg

Thats awesome bud great to hear it with that kinda swap its to be expected to have to dial in a few things. It looks great and up to the task of plenty future adventures.

You still beat Sean Hebert in his LS3 swap its been 2 years but its coming along nicely I texted him today I was ready for a ride in it, he said he was too 😂

Once I really get started on something it usually doesn't take me too long. I procrastinate a lot but I do a lot of research during that time so things go as smooth as possible. Plus, these old diesels are super simple. The transmission was the only part that required any thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom