Rv5 help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
We don't own a 4x4 but we just purchased an rv5 plus and putting it on roof racks of the Suzuki suv.
I've got it strapped into the basket but no bottom support.
Will this be ok or does it need support underneath? It's an 8hr drive on highway.

DSC_0308.JPG

DSC_0307.JPG

Welcome to MUD!
I suspect nobody can answer your question conclusively and probably would/should not want to, cuz who wants to be responsible for the little old lady being speared by an Rv5? not that I know what that is. Having said that, it seems to me that I would be more concerned about the rack flying off or the bag, than of having to support the bottom.
I would look at it in order, like: what are the roof rails rated at for dynamic conditions? Is the rack attached well enough (looks like fairly flimsy bolts)? are the straps sufficient to hold the bag on the rack?
If I were to do this, I'd add some stronger Ubolts to hold the rack on the rails and also strap the bag directly to the rails as well as the roof rack as a backup.
Now, I'm sure most people would not be overly concerned with any of this and wouldn't think twice. I've seen sofas on roofs with 2 bungee cords, sigh... But, however unlikely, there is indeed the potential for an accident and big time liability, so good for you to ask. I would go for a safe approach, and when satisfied, double it just in case :)

Welcome to MUD!
I suspect nobody can answer your question conclusively and probably would/should not want to, cuz who wants to be responsible for the little old lady being speared by an Rv5? not that I know what that is. Having said that, it seems to me that I would be more concerned about the rack flying off or the bag, than of having to support the bottom.
I would look at it in order, like: what are the roof rails rated at for dynamic conditions? Is the rack attached well enough (looks like fairly flimsy bolts)? are the straps sufficient to hold the bag on the rack?
If I were to do this, I'd add some stronger Ubolts to hold the rack on the rails and also strap the bag directly to the rails as well as the roof rack as a backup.
Now, I'm sure most people would not be overly concerned with any of this and wouldn't think twice. I've seen sofas on roofs with 2 bungee cords, sigh... But, however unlikely, there is indeed the potential for an accident and big time liability, so good for you to ask. I would go for a safe approach, and when satisfied, double it just in case :)
Hey thanks for reply. It was secure as all hell it was the bow in the middle. Roof racks are newish and barely used. It was it had no support under it.
I even added support but it still bowed.
We took it down as its brand new and don't want to damage it. Just buying another tent for our week away and buying a trailer to haul the camp gear around.
I'm a worry wart and try keep things in perfect condition.
Thanks again tho! I don't want this thing damaged.

I misunderstood, I thought you meant support under the basket, sorry.

Turn it 90 degrees with the front/leading edge resting on the bottom of the cargo carrier/rack and the rear resting on the vertical portion. Support the suspended section if necessary. Don’t strap down the unsupported portion.

Edit:
And being familiar with the extruded aluminum frame of the Oztent, no, you don’t want to bend it.

+1 on not bending it like that. The reason the OZ Tent is as long as it is in packed form is because that's the length of the metal frame inside. By strapping it down as shown in your photos, you are bending that frame, which will likely damage it.

If you have to transport it on top of that roof basket, I would only strap it down in the two spots where the tent rests on the edges of the basket, and not strap it down in the middle.

A few 2x4s could be easily used to build a rectangular structure that would give you the necessary support in the middle of the basket, under the tent. Or you could use longer 2x4s to provide a flat, level surface between your basket and the tent (which would sit on top of the 2x4s); wouldn't be pretty, but it would work.

Thanks guys, we just bought another tent for the week then sold it haha.
We're going to buy a trailer and transport it that way as we needed one anyway for all the bits and pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom