Rusty balls. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dave 2000

Not all Land Rovers are useless!
Threads
OK, under the LC today to change engine oil and filter and having a general look around, my attention is once again drawn to rust caused pitting on the swivel balls. Not leaking as per oil contaminated, just the fact that as you turn the pitting picks up grease and brings it outside the seal, eventually making it look quite minging in that area. I had about stripping them and cleaning with a wire wheel on drill and then painting with something called POR15 or equivalent? Then some Marlin outer seals and the jobs done...right?

But what about coughing up the cash for some new ones? On the Land Rover Discovery they were a quick fix by bolting on new ones but the 80's are welded in place, now we have plenty of farm machinery welders around here, my concern is getting the alignment right, does anyone know if they are indexed inside? I could then get the guy to cut of the old ones, slide the new into place and weld them up, result as new.

Run a few searches but you end you axle rebuild threads coming back but not about welding on new swivel balls, anyone done this?

regards

Dave

Could you clean them off by hand then take a couple of close up photos and post them up?

The knuckle ball isn't available as a service part. You would have to take one from another vehicle.
On my truck, I had a similar issue, so I bought a used housing and had it cleaned/re-painted.

Ideally, you want to fill in the pitting. But without a machine shop and a really good welder, you won't be able to do that with metal. Some guys have reported using epoxy to fill the pits and then sanding it all smooth again, but if the surface isn't properly prepared, that won't work for long. Maybe something can be done with lead body filler, but you have to get ALL the rust out first.

Could you clean them off by hand then take a couple of close up photos and post them up?

Thanks for the PM I have replied, I will get a couple of pics and post them up when next in the garage, tomorrow or during the week.

Maybe look at this thread for some ideas and pics ....

Knuckle Cut & Turn

I will have a look at that, thank you.

They are not indexed inside and they are not available separately. I have seen guys strip the axle down, clean everything up really well, use a jb-weld type putty and then sand it all smooth again.

I was afraid someone would say that they cannot be purchased separately, TBH I have looked but have not seen anything advertised.

The knuckle ball isn't available as a service part. You would have to take one from another vehicle.
On my truck, I had a similar issue, so I bought a used housing and had it cleaned/re-painted.

Ideally, you want to fill in the pitting. But without a machine shop and a really good welder, you won't be able to do that with metal. Some guys have reported using epoxy to fill the pits and then sanding it all smooth again, but if the surface isn't properly prepared, that won't work for long. Maybe something can be done with lead body filler, but you have to get ALL the rust out first.

Yep got it, I have looked at plenty of pictures of balls way more rusty than mine...... not so sure that came out right but you know what I mean...I hope?

Seriously mine are not real bad and since rescuing her from the UK weather and importing to sunnier climes they do not seem to have got any worse. Kernel gave me his fix which may work? At least I can give up searching for replacements, with the body welding needed around one of the inner arches, rear brake overhaul and new batteries and starter, I think this will be done next year as the LC budget is getting a caning at the moment. Maybe when the time comes I will be able to find an axle here and swap it over but, most of the 80's here do not have lockers so a bit of work needed there to swap mine over.

Thanks all for your replies,

regards

Dave

I did the jbweld trick on mine then painted with two part epoxy. They have held up great, and I never have to worry about rust again.

I did sandblast first to get in the bottom of all the pits. then filled with the jbweld.

I think I have pics here.

Front axle - Rust as a lubricant??

Sorry for delay, I wiped the grease of the pitted areas with some petrol, hope it makes the pitting easier to see. The rusty colouring over the years has diminished, but the pitting is not seriously bad. I spoke to a guy who paints cars and chassis here in Spain and apparently there is a 'two pack' polyurethane that is good?

regards

Dave
RB5.jpg

RB3.jpg
RB4.jpg
RB5.jpg

RB2.jpg

Now I see why Mike and Edd from Wheeler Dealers moved to California.

Yep, this is UK rust, roads full of salt during the winter, plus the car lived in Cumbria which is a beautiful green area of the UK, but Green means damp, and there is plenty of that there.

regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom