Rust on recent purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bougt a 78 FJ40 that is just about what I have been looking for. It has Power Steering, after market AC, looks very good (black), winch, and the list could go on. However, it does have some underbody rust, some with holes. I am not a welding person, at least up to this point. I have used fiberglass cloth in the past on other cruisers that I have owned. However, this one is a keeper. How do I go about repairing this rust without welding, or, would you strongly recommend welding. Like I said, I have not been a welding person up to this point, but am not opposed to buying a mig welder and giving it a try. Suggestions and recommendations, please...

I've got a Hobart 125 mig welder. It uses flux cored wire and is only 110v. I chose this one because I live in a seriously windy area however, it also has the ability to be upgradable to gas. It's 110v because our house is old so there is no 220v outlets. From all the research I've done, 220v welders are supposed to be much better in that they can handle bigger jobs and gas is much better for welding because it's much cleaner. However, I've never had much of a problem. It's a learning experience for me and I don't have a problem cleaning up my welds from spatter and such. All my metal, I've bought from a local metal fabrication place. They've been really helpful and never had a problem filling my smaller orders. Normally, I buy 2x2 foot sheets of 16, 18, and 20 gauge sheet metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom