Rust converter vs paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm restoring an old Spen trailer. I used Rustoleum Rust Converter on the tongue (wire brush, wash, convert and paint). It turned out great. I plan to do the same tomorrow to the inside of the trailer but then I'm stumped.

The exterior has large areas still covered in the original paint. I'll wire brush the edges to remove any loose paint, but I don't think I should remove the paint nor should I paint over it with converter. Is it OK to spray the converter on paint? Is there another way to ensure the rust is converted and the new paint adheres to the trailer?

I would use the converter on the areas that need it, a bit of overlap onto the painted surface at the edges is fine. However, using it to cover all the original paint is just a waste of time and material.

Put some bite into the painted areas with 100 - 180 grit depending on condition of original paint. Some self etching primer if you like (converter serves as a primer) or just skip to your chosen color and you should be good to go.....

Good luck....post some pics....

Thanks, I always mean to get pics but end up finishing work in the dark and just want a shower. Will do better in the new year.

So I used all the Rustoleum rust converter from my local Autozone and had to use Krylon Rust Stop from Advance. The Rustoleum is tinted black and goes on like paint. One has to take their word that it is converting the rust. The Krylon goes on clear and then cures black. The Krylon shows it is working and although they cost the same, the Krylon covers more area. Preparation is the same. I'll be using Krylon tomorrow on the bottom, springs and axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom