Rust consult - Is this BJ42 too far gone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I recently came across a 1980 BJ42 LX (factory ac, power steering, 3B engine) for sale semi-locally. The first set of photos I received was pretty promising. Owner assured me that the vehicle runs well, but the body will "need some work". My Dad and I are a fairly handy pair, so I wasn't too worried about a bit of body work. I don't need a show car, just a daily driver that isn't a ticking time bomb (and looks DECENT). The seller wants $7500 which seemed fair. But then I saw these... The places with rust look like they were gnawed on by a beaver! Some of it seems repairable, but the cowl really scares me. Id like to have this thing in decent shape in the next couple of months, with most of the major metal work done by then. What do you guys think? Is this truck repairable for a somewhat modest sum? My "near future" budget would be like $12k all in. Over time, I could spend a bit more.

fullsizeoutput_2d0.jpeg

IMG_1834.JPG

Hi all,

I recently came across a 1980 BJ42 LX (factory ac, power steering, 3B engine) for sale semi-locally. The first set of photos I received was pretty promising. Owner assured me that the vehicle runs well, but the body will "need some work". My Dad and I are a fairly handy pair, so I wasn't too worried about a bit of body work. I don't need a show car, just a daily driver that isn't a ticking time bomb (and looks DECENT). The seller wants $7500 which seemed fair. But then I saw these... The places with rust look like they were gnawed on by a beaver! Some of it seems repairable, but the cowl really scares me. Id like to have this thing in decent shape in the next couple of months, with most of the major metal work done by then. What do you guys think? Is this truck repairable for a somewhat modest sum? My "near future" budget would be like $12k all in. Over time, I could spend a bit more.View attachment 1991861

View attachment 1991862

View attachment 1991863

That's a pile of heartache for $7500. And I doubt another $12k will put it back together, if you want to do it right.

do you have your heart set on diesel? there's some better deals out there. that truck is going to need so much attention.

Even here in Wisconsin where everything rusts, constantly, the cowls are usually solid. Very strange that it seems to have rot in most of the places that usually survive better and the areas that usually rot out first look ok so that one would have me concerned. $7500 is too much in my opinion. If you go look at it bring a professional body guy with you, even if you have to pay him $100 for his time. I would say maybe $4500 on the HIGH side but I think if a nice looking daily driver 40 is what you want you'll be able to find one here on this forum for $15k-$20k. Good luck on whatever you decide and report back with the results please.

IMHO, I would rather tackle mechanical conditions than deal with rust.

That looks pretty gnarly. Any pics of the rear sill, qtrs, frame?

That's gotta be close to thousands of hours of rehab. If it runs, drives, turns and stops it's probably closer to a $1000 cruiser from what I see.

you can only imagine what that cowl and windshield frame look like where you can't currently see them....i can assure you it would start at "not good" and quickly escalate.
unless the engine was recently rebuilt, it's not worth it and i doubt it has been.

you can only imagine what that cowl and windshield frame look like where you can't currently see them....i can assure you it would start at "not good" and quickly escalate.
unless the engine was recently rebuilt, it's not worth it and i doubt it has been.
Not a recent rebuild, but only 60k original miles. General consensus seems to be that this is a no go! I appreciate the input, everyone. Just for reference, what do you think it’s worth in its present condition?

If the rear quarter panels and frame are good, then consider it. The fenders not being rotten is unusual. The problem is that much is too hidden to see. Some rust spells new front leaf springs, easy. That truck looks like it might have never really driven, but sat in acid rain of the East Coast. I don't think that you could do it with $12, but maybe with some non-pro welding skills, rattle can and a soft top? Of course, I don't think that you can get any solid car or truck, new or old, for under $12.

Never seen that type of isolated (maybe) rust where it does look like a beaver was going at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom