Runner starts itsself (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK fellas I've got a weird one for you. I've got a 96 4runner that i have had for going on 5 yrs. In the last several months it has started starting and running on its own. first couple times i came outside and it was running i thought my kids were jackin with me but a while back i was working on a project in the shop and i heard it turning over. it stopped i went out to it and it started turning over again and it started. the key was off i turned it on and then off and it stayed running. i was trying to figure out what to do when i saw a toggle switch that i had always thought went to an old alarm system. it was in the off position i flipped it and the truck shut off. so i think i may have an old remote start hooked up. so first things first where would a remote start hook up i have tried to follow the wires from the switch and they just disappear under the dash. id rather not remove any dash stuff if i don't need too. secondly what could be triggering it to start if it is a remote start. and thirdly if not a remote start what could it be. also it always shuts off on its own not sure how long it runs or how often it does it. i think if i leave that switch in the on position it doesn't do it. but with all three of my kids driving it now it keeps getting bumped I've got tape on it for now. Thanks for any thoughts or help :cheers:

The remote starter in my 4Runner only runs the engine for 15 minutes then shuts off. A safety feature.

Could be an odd occurrence of another remote a neighbor has or a garage door opener. Who knows?

my closest neighbor is miles away its got to be something around my house don't have a garage door opener im stumped :bang:

Electromagnetic pulse - Wikipedia :hmm:

Electrical short....
Seriously, I would disconnect both wires to that switch and cap them off. Switch sounds like it's got a short in it or whatever it feeds.
Try that.

On a related incident, (during a microburst), we had a bolt of lightning strike so close to the daughter's 4runner that all the power windows rolled down and subsequently drowned the interior.

Last edited:
If you have remote start installed there will be a box associated with it and wire for an antenna. The box could be under the dash but easier to look behind the driver and passenger kick panels as well as under the seats. In addition look behind the glove box as there is room to tuck one in. It will likely be a box that isnt bolted to anything , think zipties, free hanging or double sided tape.

Whatever you find just Google the numbers you find on it and if you find anything coming back to remote start then just download the install instructions and reverse them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom