Ruby in August? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris and I will be leaving edmonton early saturday morning. Ive only driven in from the Rocky Mtn House side before, how long should i expect the drive to take from Stony Plain? What time should we plan to be there?

It takes about 4hrs. We probably want to hit the trail by at least 10, so.... Early departure!

Ok. Current plan is to leave here at 6am or just before and go heavy on the turbo to get there in decent time. Will you be camped on the cardinal river road so i can see you when driving by or does someone know a secret camp spot that i need directions to find?

And which way will we be heading in? Last time i was there with you Paul, we camped right off the CRR then back tracked along the road and went in a different way that didnt involve a river crossing untill we got to the ruby falls drainage. I ask because if im not there by 10:30 you guys should just go on without us and we'll catch up with you at the falls. I have no concerns driving in solo.

We will be at the same place, if for some crazy reason there are a bunch of people camped there, we will camp below the lookout road near the creek...can't see it tho. We will head in the creek crossing, I'm pulling a trailer in so most likely you will catch us... See you there!

Turns out I'll be leaving Saturday morning, just too busy this week to get ready

So? Where's the pictures?

I was gonna be a Ruby Crasher and just show up uninvited but life got in the way again. How was the weather?

Trip Summary: Weather was forecast to be high of 9 and rain Friday, and Saturday, with a lesser chance of rain on Sunday. So expectations were low.

Well, the rain cleared up Friday at 8:30! Sky was clear and full of stars over the fire. Which made for a c-cold night. Sun burnt off the fog Sat morning and we had sunny/cloudy until 6pm. Every hole was full of water, but good bottoms. The stock Taco did great, just donning chains to bypass the death trap mud hole at the end. We reached the falls for late lunch around 4pm. We stopped rappelling the falls when the rain started later. It rained steady for the return trip from Ruby to base camp. Trail mods included RTT and roof rack dumped to the ground 2x off Dusty's FJ40. And we were stopped by the fish cop who checked ins, regs and plates before leaving us alone. Tom didn't want supper to soon so he got the 80 stuck in a bog. Rained stopped so we could cook late dinner have a fire and crash. Then the snow started, but nothing stayed on the ground. Sunday was cloudy but warmed up enough in afternoon that I went for a quick swim in crystal falls! All went well until Toms 80 dropped 3 trunnion bolts and sheared the 4th on a bypass, stopping our progress! Spirits were high though, kids kept busy building a warming fire and I found one bolt back down the trail. Trail fix was completed and Tom was able to drive out and even home to Edmonton, just stopping regularly to tighten the one trunnion bolt, and one wheel stud holding the wheel together!

All in all, it was a great trip! More details when we have beers and wings next week.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mates!

Those are my pics, I think Tom took a lot more on his SLR, here's hoping he will post a link to them soon.

Nice , looks like a good trip

There are a few people heading in to Ruby this weekend. Was any of the water deep enough to cause me issues on a Honda quad?

You're gonna get wet. A lot of the quads out there were running snorkels.

Hopefully it is not so deep I need a snorkle, I was out there in July and had no issue.

I'm heading to ruby Oct 1 weekend with some friends y'all should bring some Cruisers.

Those of you who were on this trip remember my brother Shaun, was driving the DD Taco. Well, he just pulled the trigger on a 81 BJ42 last weekend! It's the one in the thread linked below.

For Sale: - 1981 BJ42

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom