RTT question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trailer looks great. Do you know what the different dimensions for the bantam, m101a, and 105? I am trying to decide on which would met my needs and searching forums and only detail that I found is 101 is 3/4 ton and 105 is 1 1/2 ton.

natureinsanity said:
Trailer looks great. Do you know what the different dimensions for the bantam, m101a, and 105? I am trying to decide on which would met my needs and searching forums and only detail that I found is 101 is 3/4 ton and 105 is 1 1/2 ton.

Start a thread on that. I would like to know as well. I would like to slim this box down and get a trailer I can go off road with.

I'm a noob and learning as I go. You will find lots of help here. Good luck.

Start a thread on that. I would like to know as well. I would like to slim this box down and get a trailer I can go off road with.

I'm a noob and learning as I go. You will find lots of help here. Good luck.

That depends, which trailers you are looking at.

The Bantam, and M100 (as well as the M416 and M101 Canadian) are all about the same size. These trailers are 1/4t, and sport a box that is ~4x6'.

The M101 series of trailers used by the US Military were built on the M116 chassis family. These trailers are rated at 3/4t (1t for a2e1 and a3 variants) and have a bed that are 6x8' or there abouts, and weigh a bit more than the 1/4t trailers. These trailers are not very rare at this point, so they don't command the obscene prices the 1/4t do for a rust bucket.

The M105 series are built to be yanked by 2.5t trucks and larger, sport air brakes, and are rated at 1.5t for xc use. They weigh a TON, and require two soldiers to buck about to get them onto the prime movers (okay one PT stud in the motor-pool). Dimensions are very similar to the M101 series, but a bit bigger, maybe a few inches on LxW.

Thank you for the info. I also just found out that the m416 does not have tailgate. I have limited resources and was planning on using M101 as base structure to build from.

Thank you for the info. I also just found out that the m416 does not have tailgate. I have limited resources and was planning on using M101 as base structure to build from.

Any of the US/CDN military variants of the old Bantam MBT will not have a tailgate. This was to allow the trailer to float equipment during beach landings and such. Any with a tailgate has been hacked in by some owner down the road. There are some other nations that copied the basic design of the US 1/4t trailer that did have a tailgate from the factory, my Japanese T-73 is one of them... but good luck getting your hands on one.

Another Question- I have no trailer brakes on this rig. I am looking into getting some. I know I need to weigh this thing first. At what weight do you guys think I need to add brakes to it.

Most of my weight will be in my truck. The heaviest thing on the trailer will be the rooftop tent. 20 gallons of water, ARB fridge and propane tanks (all will be towards the front of the trailer, except the RTT)

Corprin, that jack idea is catchy, dual purpose, I like it. I may add to my next build instead of the heavy tubing I was using previously Thanks.

Another Question- I have no trailer brakes on this rig. I am looking into getting some. I know I need to weigh this thing first. At what weight do you guys think I need to add brakes to it.

Most of my weight will be in my truck. The heaviest thing on the trailer will be the rooftop tent. 20 gallons of water, ARB fridge and propane tanks (all will be towards the front of the trailer, except the RTT)

My guess is your trailer is well over a thousand...probably closer to 1300-1400#. Now fill the sides and back with gear and you're headed up over a ton.

I know brakes(and controller) can add up quick on a budget, but I can't think of anything else I'd take a chance 0f compromising on, then safe stopping. I don't think you would ever regret putting brakes on any trailer, outside of a M416 towed by a dually...then maybe a moot point.

For a couple of extra hundred dollars you have peace of mind...money well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom