RTT Picture Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man that looks good. My wife has the exact same model and color. Great looking vehicle all around, love the clean look. Was going to ask about how it handles the weight with AHC, but it looks like you have made lots of mods to handle that per your sig. Did you do a sensor lift at all?

Thanks. I'm actually headed out to camp a few hours away to Joshua Tree with the new RTT setup this weekend, so I'll have a better report of how it handles and works.

I am sensor lifted 1.5" F and 1" R, along with 35s, so it doesn't handle as flat as it did stock. But I suspect it'll still have reasonably solid roll resistance from AHC. Most of the roll I get is with the higher center of gravity and the taller profile tires rolling over. So I do tend to run the tire at higher pressures (38-40PSI) than would be necessary from a load perspective (35PSI). Then again, I drive pretty fast as the setup will bomb over everything, so there's that.

Had a great campout in Joshua Tree. Can say, the iKamper Skycamp v3 worked out great as others said it would. Excellent tent by all measures. Quiet and aerodynamic at highways speeds. Easy setup and tear down. Lots of space. And definitely some x-factor as all of my buddies wanted to check it out. Perhaps the only detractors for me is the visual weight and heavier than I like, but that comes with the territory of wanting to sleep 4. LX AHC handled it way better than my previous LX470 carrying this kind of weight on the roof over curvy backroads. Practically forgot it was up there much of the time, even bombing down desert washes with Raptor friends.

Few notes:
1. Running 4 stock crossbars on the OEM LC roof rack doesn't make for a flat surface. So I 3D printed some spacers so the tent mounting rail would engage all cross rails. Worked out great. Stable and no noise to speak of. 3.5mm spacer 3D printed with .stl file attached.

1669151301052.png

2. Tried a diesel heater for the first time. I normally use a propane powered Buddy heater for ground tents but that doesn't work in an RTT with tighter space. Diesel heater is more finicky in terms of connections and setup, but the dry fresh heat it pushes is superior. No condensation to speak of. Warm, almost too warm for a small RTT even at its lowest setting. Cracking more windows fixes that easily. For others getting one, I recommend a smaller 2KW unit. Consumption was good at ~2L per 10hrs runtime at the lowest setting. I thought dealing with another fuel type would be a PITA, but since it's everywhere, too easy. Forgot to snap a picture of it setup with the tent so this will do.

1669151753487.png

3. Worked great other than the window awning pole interfering with the hatch spoiler.

1669151860165.png

Attachments

• RTT 3.5 spacer.stl
    2.2 KB · Views: 30
Had a great campout in Joshua Tree. Can say, the iKamper Skycamp v3 worked out great as others said it would. Excellent tent by all measures. Quiet and aerodynamic at highways speeds. Easy setup and tear down. Lots of space. And definitely some x-factor as all of my buddies wanted to check it out. Perhaps the only detractors for me is the visual weight and heavier than I like, but that comes with the territory of wanting to sleep 4. LX AHC handled it way better than my previous LX470 carrying this kind of weight on the roof over curvy backroads. Practically forgot it was up there much of the time, even bombing down desert washes with Raptor friends.

Few notes:
1. Running 4 stock crossbars on the OEM LC roof rack doesn't make for a flat surface. So I 3D printed some spacers so the tent mounting rail would engage all cross rails. Worked out great. Stable and no noise to speak of. 3.5mm spacer 3D printed with .stl file attached.

View attachment 3175380

2. Tried a diesel heater for the first time. I normally use a propane powered Buddy heater for ground tents but that doesn't work in an RTT with tighter space. Diesel heater is more finicky in terms of connections and setup, but the dry fresh heat it pushes is superior. No condensation to speak of. Warm, almost too warm for a small RTT even at its lowest setting. Cracking more windows fixes that easily. For others getting one, I recommend a smaller 2KW unit. Consumption was good at ~2L per 10hrs runtime at the lowest setting. I thought dealing with another fuel type would be a PITA, but since it's everywhere, too easy. Forgot to snap a picture of it setup with the tent so this will do.

View attachment 3175395

3. Worked great other than the window awning pole interfering with the hatch spoiler.

View attachment 3175398
For someone that does a ton of cold weather winter camping I highly recommend ditching the heater for better insulating pads (like megamat) and colder rated bags.

I love the diesel heater for the rtt.....it is great for two nights without having to carry extra diesel ....

Only problem I had last time was it stopped in the wee hours ( after 5 hours of continuous use) ..... i need to check on the settings ....

For someone that does a ton of cold weather winter camping I highly recommend ditching the heater for better insulating pads (like megamat) and colder rated bags.

I've been debating this for years and you're not wrong. Colder rated bags is the one piece of kit I haven't invested in as I use pretty std Coleman grade bags.

A few things, most of the camping I do is with family and young kids. We're from fair weather San Diego which has made us soft. The YMCA father/child group I mostly camp with, prob 80% run some form of heater. Wife won't come without one.

I've been wanting to do better grade bags and still may. The iKamper is pretty well insulated and has a decent mattress.

I've been debating this for years and you're not wrong. Colder rated bags is the one piece of kit I haven't invested in as I use pretty std Coleman grade bags.

A few things, most of the camping I do is with family and young kids. We're from fair weather San Diego which has made us soft. The YMCA father/child group I mostly camp with, prob 80% run some form of heater. Wife won't come without one.

I've been wanting to do better grade bags and still may. The iKamper is pretty well insulated and has a decent mattress.
I’ve been winter camping with my kids since the were 6 or so. When they were younger I would use a my buddy for 15-20 min before they got out of the bag. I have an iKamper as well and agree it is well insulating. Only tents that I have that are warmer are 4 season double wall insulated ones.

Glad to know its worth the coin, thanks for yalls feedback.

Used the iKamper in some heavy winds this past weekend. Probably 30-50 miles gusts enough that another buddy lost a main spar on their tent. Surprised just how solid the iKamper is. All fabric and rainfly is impressively taught and held up with minimal flapping. Whole vehicle was rocking and shaking, but the heavy canvas did a great job muffling the noise and wind outside. Glad to have the RTT as we were on rock with nothing to stake down to.

1678586933584.png

1678587023078.png

Last edited:
Used the iKamper in some heavy winds this past weekend. Probably 30-50 miles gusts enough that another buddy lost a main spar on their tent. Surprised just how solid the iKamper is. All fabric and rainfly is impressively taught and held up with minimal flapping. Whole vehicle was rocking and shaking, but the heavy canvas did a great job muffling the noise and wind outside.

JpHHwfzKUols0kVHPS988lqhcgwOsahwLuPTm-dVUOT8HlN8xgi-Th5F3BR26W-ntKgkiIlTnoXnQKjFovzG8JgGKlzlWbKroFEhclEvKyDfk6T7HkT9eyz3lp8jfocLJfM31dCKEslDx2GcaT5TiFDOcaEoN-QAEuklLkOPZ35rHtiozcZc_IcJqxyyOseqm5ko2DMx7oa9R2T5MktxYJ_pGmPbD9oLs6avQormGu25J26DST6g_5SBfhog5275AflsBbh533R-c329mkAyN3cahtdgi_pYCJlR60amgUPWLnSt1qZ1U3-esGCYnqnWoMah3VTmro_xC7KiG-ZlNNImrrnc6aRfz5dCMFcAbOBo8CIQXDKJ75bCXuBVZNlVfqiJCvA2meo0Ukw2a4ObU3hv7ih61BP3yMjg0_vt6T7ydfxnAK_lkiCKrSe6N2Gk-J8T2IsP3E7pU4L0TMk1Meq4TyiExytYrbW1pizOgfcn6b4eYGjIEBCtTO5_7I1_Rwm6Kd64E-uo0zgdEtXRUodq3Pmcs5bGFYjVb6yj4NCVCyQz5M_4Ouzt71GZOaA0MbB3E4Qecr6J14cH98qjZSClqFuf3oZmc1yMErFh2PSWYY9iAUcxAsKB12W-A09mRWFtJaauFMtk0DelEGqeHpEcXCg3Kz9PXuhW3VVH4YjYXuavzvdDjHKDVftKqtwcdZmoN_tMldUdTaJkT8XUN7xfokf-F-1Mxq55JYyZ70G72LljreowRSmN-MN6d2XemTyKneSY_bXiiB4yDpIKsnRcKFwba3MxRE5V-wWWq9W9d0lvCatS0RAOydAfoxubRCS_qYbImxHPDjCwbbaVtWbjYc5oPBuxyswv8e8Ec4opiuwNM5w_d56Xjqh967S2dHle9ky8aDOj-1XKKdzZWDDZ_LfQTeiSjnD_70t0pgwBDEUiyG9UoSK_pT6uEck5_TM6dAtKBmwJnB_tvSNdPKf20mQxX1vyFyA92rDV8WbY8ry5DMISmkNIyQ=w1263-h950-no

I would really like to upgrade from the x cover to the sky camp. For simplicity sake.

But I am. Wry happy with my x cover. I have had it in very high winds with zero issue.

Which rack are you using? I have a similar tent now (CVT Mt. Hood) that I love but my prinsu rack creaks a bit, no matter how hard everything is tightened down. Any creaking?
Man I hate to hear that, I know tracking down noise is a pain.
I have the rhino rack platform with there back bone system. No creaking to report, just wind noice that I’ve found manageable.

I don’t have any experience with the Prinsu racks but hopefully some one on this forum could help..

I went with a more entry level Ironman to see how I liked it. I caught them during a 25% off and free shipping sale. Honestly the tent is a lot nicer than I expected especially at the price point. I've used it quite a bit and really like it so far. I don't keep it on the truck all the time so I picked up a nice lift off amazon for my shop. I can take it on and of by myself in about 10 minutes now.
lift.jpeg

200c.jpeg
tent.jpg

I went with a more entry level Ironman to see how I liked it. I caught them during a 25% off and free shipping sale. Honestly the tent is a lot nicer than I expected especially at the price point. I've used it quite a bit and really like it so far. I don't keep it on the truck all the time so I picked up a nice lift off amazon for my shop. I can take it on and of by myself in about 10 minutes now.View attachment 3221215

View attachment 3221211View attachment 3221212
gorgeous truck!

Here's my unbranded/generic RTT (Roofnest/AreaBFE style) that I purchased directly from the manufacturer for about 1/3rd of the price of branded RTTs. I've had it since 2019 and no issues so far.

Screenshot_20230526_094630_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230526_094552_Gallery.jpg

20230420_153902.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom