RTH: Serp belt tensioner replace; antifreeze leaked onto timing belt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the midst of replacing my serpentine belt tensioner today to fix a chirp/squealing noise on my 2000 UZJ100 with ~191 k miles.. Upon removing the tensioner (I followed these instructions) I notice a dripping from below the truck... ugh, antifreeze. Then I notice it is also dripping onto the timing belt from around the studs that the serp tensioner mounts on (note dark spots on TB ribs).

IMG_7866_zpsnbkwwtra.jpg

I have owned the truck for about 6 months. The PO had the timing belt replaced at the dealer about 9 months and ~10k ago, so it's nearly new. Is the timing belt screwed now that antifreeze has leaked on it? Did the dealer screw up with torquing bolts when they did the TB, thus causing the leak?

Or... more likely, did I screw up when I accidentally removed this bolt (see photo)? I quickly realized it wasn't connected to the serp tensioner assembly so I reinstalled it, but I noticed the leak around then. Did I inadvertently shorten the lifespan of my almost new TB? Any help or suggestions welcomed.

77207d80-4f61-435c-9737-8d3a2f2c8d93_zpsnwjzss5y.jpg

Last edited:
no one can promise you anything on the lifespan of your TB... But timing belts usually out live the water pump and the pumps are known to last for years with a leak... so my guess would be you are fine and I highly doubt that a small amount of antifreeze would degrade the timing belt in any way... I wouldn't worry about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom