RTH needed in Benson (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are on our way to CA on vacation and my 80 has lost a rear axle seal and is losing a lot of gear oil. Not sure I was to try to make it to Tucson. Anyone know of a place to get it fixed in Benson? I can do it myself, but don't have all the tools or parts needed. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Benson is probably to small to have the parts you need...but, there's only a few mechanic shops there. You might try:
George's Automotive
773 E 4th St
Benson, AZ
(520) 586-4338

Renew Auto
1191 S Vía Coyote
Benson, AZ
(520) 586-7060

BIG DAVES Auto Towing
I hope any of this helps, keep us posted

FYI, you are about 46 miles from Tucson.

yea, I know. But, at the rate it seems to be leaking, I'm not sure if I can go that far. Any shop recommendations if I can make it there?

If you can get to Tucson and find parts you are wecome to come to my place use the garage-tools. I am 5 min off 1-10 and there is a Autozone and Checker on the way.

I think you get to an auto shop first, pick up some fluid and see what you can use there and then cruise to Bowtiestangs:
Shannon's Auto Parts
685 E 4th St
Benson, AZ
(520) 586-3888

AutoZone1705 West Speedway
Tucson, AZ 85705
(520) 624-2424

O'Reilly Auto Parts
1230 N Silverbell Rd, Tucson, AZ ‎
(520) 882-8893

You have truck stops near Benson also to buy gear oil...fill it up and drive.

Love's Travel Stop
643 Arizona 90 Benson, AZ 85602
(520) 586-8702

Guy at the local O'Reilly's thinks he may have the seals. Going to head over there and check.

Bowiestang and pbr, thanks for the offer of the use of tools and garage. Wife is pestering me to take it to a shop and have it done. Says I'm too old to be doing the work myself (she's probably right, but I don't like to admit it). Anyone have any recommendations for a shop in Tucson?

Douglas Auto is a good Honest shop right off I-10. But not open today. If you go Monday tell them Robert from Marana Schools sent you and talk to John or Bob. If you need it done today maybe try PMing RockJock82 he works from is house but also works as a nurse so may be working today??

http://www.douglasautoaz.qwestoffice.net/

I think I may have extra seals if you need them. However, I'm on heavy medication and can't drive. Let me know if you need the seals, I'll monitor the thread.

Just have to say...this thread makes my damn heart warm!

For those who do not know Bob Garrett he is an "elder statesman" of the TLCA. Been everywhere and done about everything. Besides he is just an all around great guy who would help anyone in need.

Bob, haven't seen you in a while, but I would come myself but I am in Crested Butte, Colorado right now (Justin happens to be here too visiting).
The Copperstate folks are great and I am certain they will help you get on the road again. All the best, Terry

Quick status update... Talked to the guys at the local O'Reilly's. They located an axle seal and it will be here Monday AM. They have a wheel seal in stock, so I think I am set for parts. Waiting to hear back from a local mechanic to see if he can do the work on Monday. If not, I may be wrenching in the motel parking lot or trying to get to bowtiestang's place in Tucson.

O'Reilly web site lists part number 226285 as the front and rear wheeling seal. It doesn't have the thicker lip like the OEM rear bearing seal. I am also unable to find any axle seal info from their web site. I hope they ordered the right seals for you.

Rear bearing seal.

rear_bearing_seal.jpg~original

Front bearing seal.

front_bearing_seal.jpg~original

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom