Roll the dice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a question for those who rolled the dice and picked up a used GX with unknown service history. How did it turn out?

My dilemma: I found a low mile, 3 owner GX that has been a Midwest car. Fairly solid vehicle for $6500 and less than 120K miles. Minor issues like the two rear windows wont roll down from the driver switch but work fine from the rear doors, and the CDL not engaging, and a little bit of rust under the door sill plate on the driver side. Not a garage kept vehicle. In the last 3 years a total of 2,733 miles have been put on it. Also has a check engine light along with the VSC lights with i am thinking is linked to an O2 sensor. No exhaust manifold leaks. Its dead silent compared to my 03 sequoia (family weekend around town vehicle) with 230K miles. My hang up is there is quite a bit of oil caked all over the engine of the GX. Notice there was a drop of oil coming of an upper bracket of the oil dipstick tube. Bunch of oil caked all over the lower skid under the pan. And looking through drivers side wheel well there are hoses that run to the back of the vehicle that are caked in oil and grime. The trans and transfer case were clean.

My suspicion is that it had sat for a while and the seals have dried up. Its running the original timing belt. So if I were to get it, I would do the timing belt and water pump with all the seals and valve cover gaskets. My concern is that the oil pump is also leaking and it may need a rear main seal. Dealership said they had not changed the oil. Oil was dirty but no sign of coolant in the oil. On the test drive it seemed to run strong and seemed about on par with my Sequoia performance wise.

I would be going from a DD 99 Limited 4runner with 233k miles that hasn't given me any issue and does not have nearly the amount of oil covering the engine like this gx. My 03 sequoia engine is relatively clean too and had good service history when I picked it up 3 years ago. Worst case, I have to throw a new motor in it. Not a big deal but would be a significant inconvenience since I travel 2-3 hours sometimes for work. I know the 2uz is a durable motor but how much maintenance neglect is to much.

Thoughts?

I rolled the dice on mine and think I scored. Not much maintenance history on the Lexus site other than a cracked dash replacement. 3 owner 04 with 150k for $6k. It had the pink crusty on the radiator and obvious oil leaks. Did the spark plugs and valve cover gaskets right away and that took care of the oil leak. See if you can determine the source of the oil leak. Might be a simple fix. Later on I did the timing belt and radiator. Had to do an o2 sensor as well. Flushed all fluids in diffs and tranny. It runs great and is quieter inside the cabin than my 06 cruiser and much much smoother than my 04 taco. Your 4Runner is a great truck but the GX is so much more refined. Not sure how bad the rust is you mentioned but that would be my biggest worry. Mines a so-cal truck so it wasn’t an issue. I took a gamble on Craigslist and it worked out for me, especially considering the going rate on GX’s today.

You already have a 4 runner and a Sequoia, 6500 plus all the neglected maintenance and unknown issues. I would figure 10k. Will go a long way to maintain the two you already have.
I have a Gx and really like it but it was a 1 owner with good service history. I would pass on the one you are looking at. It sounds like it has been neglected. Frame rust? Axles? lots more to look at.

You can do better. Don’t skimp on the vehicle, if you have expectations for it or you want it to deliver certain criteria.
As Mountaintrails said, either use some of that money to improv your current (and similar) trucks, or spend a little more for a GX that won’t always leave you wondering how your “dice roll” went.
You‘ll soon forget about the money (and re-coup it when it’s your time to sell it anyway) if you wait for a better candidate, but that nagging feeling in the back of your brain would poke at you constantly if you make a panic buy just to save a few $.
Good luck...

To me, that sounds more like a $4500 vehicle. Unless you want a project, I would look around some more.

I’m passing on the vehicle. Oil spraying out of the oil pump and bubbles in the radiator. Dealer tech who glanced at it said it was only the VC gaskets. Not worth it. I went for a send look. Had it been rust free i could deal with an engine swap. Feel sorry for the guy who buys it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom