Rivian vs 100 series LC Diablo Dropoff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sdnative

SILVER Star
Threads

I attribute most of this to the driver not the vehicle. I have been up this section several times in my 100. It's really not that difficult.

I attribute most of this to the driver not the vehicle. I have been up this section several times in my 100. It's really not that difficult

I concur, the start and stop of the 100 was counter productive.

I attribute most of this to the driver not the vehicle. I have been up this section several times in my 100. It's really not that difficult.
Whoever made the video really wants to sell Rivians
Despite what was said at the end of it just the way that the two trucks were presented for most of the video.

I have a Rivian on order. Won't replace my 80 series, but I'm stoked. I don't see any bias in that video at all, he even showed a Tacoma going up without issue at the end. If anything, it's an indictment of the 100 series driver.

Almost every EV has a differential.

Ok, this is pretty funny to see. I was out there that day and ran into the Rivian guy along with his Land Cruiser chase truck friend where broken axle canyon meets fish creek wash.

They said they were planning on going up the drop off and we had just come down it. I let him know there were about 20 trucks up there with a bunch of people having a little party, grilling out for lunch etc. So if he was going to go up, he better make it all the way to avoid some embarrassment, lol.

I forget the guys name, but they were cool and let us check the truck out. He was on the Rivian marketing team.

Here he is at the bottom in fish creek before heading up.

4102B521-5368-4A19-A656-7748F8E9C78D.jpeg

Yeah this definitely looked like a marketing stunt. Take a well known off road machine like the Toyota Land Cruiser, have the driver drive poorly, then proceed to show how much better your vehicle performs, and just happen to run into a guy with a youtube channel. Too bad they broke the law in the meantime (Diablo Drop-off in that section is one-way).

@Adarcy was the youtube guy with them in that picture?

I suppose I don’t know if the YouTube video guy was with them or not, but I can say that the YouTube guy made his video look like they started at the top.

They (Rivian and LC100) we’re definitely down in fish creek first.

Yeah this definitely looked like a marketing stunt. Take a well known off road machine like the Toyota Land Cruiser, have the driver drive poorly, then proceed to show how much better your vehicle performs, and just happen to run into a guy with a youtube channel. Too bad they broke the law in the meantime (Diablo Drop-off in that section is one-way).

Rivian has had their team driving mules all over the US for going on a year now. If this was a marketing stunt, it was the most poorly executed stunt ever. Some of you guys need to take your blinders off...geeze.

Motor Trend drove a Rivian over the Trans America Trail. On Long Way Up, Ewan and Charlie were supported by Rivian riding from South America to Los Angeles on electric motorcycles. THOSE are marketing ploys.

Some dude randomly catching a Rivian and filming it climbing a hill, then immediately following it by showing a stock Tacoma with A-TRAC climbing the same hill without issue? Yeah...not exactly effective marketing.

Last edited:
I suppose I don’t know if the YouTube video guy was with them or not, but I can say that the YouTube guy made his video look like they started at the top.

They (Rivian and LC100) we’re definitely down in fish creek first.
He literally asked him if he would do it again for the camera. Did you even watch the video?

The 100 guy needed a bag over his head IMHO. Oh wait maybe he did?

I only saw a snippet originally, just watched the full video now that i'm on my computer.

The guy driving the 100 was either deceitful for Rivian's benefit, or was a poor driver. You can't start and stop on steep rutted hill with street tires and expect to make it easy. I have heard rangers are now looking for wrong way drivers on this trail, but no real first hand accounts.

New technology should be better, right?

Meh... I'll be impressed seeing them go up Heart Attack Hill... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom