Rethinking the 17" option here. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
Okay, so I plan one day on selling my OEM Chromo 16" wheels for the `regular' alum 16s. BUT....nowadays 17" dia. tires are more and more common and the 100 ain't gonna see any real off-road for quite a few more years here, prices are within 10-15% delta. Soon here the 100 needs to get new shoes anyway in the next year when the chrome's sell. Should I reconsider the 17" OEM alums' instead? I do like the looks of them quite a bit and there really is a marked difference looking between the 16" and 17" wheel.

I see lots of slightly used 315/70-17 (35") BFG AT/KO tires for sale (cheap) from H2 owners.

I agree that tire selection will improve for 17" wheels in the future so I wouldn't consider 17s a bad move.

3fj40 said:
Okay, so I plan one day on selling my OEM Chromo 16" wheels for the `regular' alum 16s. BUT....nowadays 17" dia. tires are more and more common and the 100 ain't gonna see any real off-road for quite a few more years here, prices are within 10-15% delta. Soon here the 100 needs to get new shoes anyway in the next year when the chrome's sell. Should I reconsider the 17" OEM alums' instead? I do like the looks of them quite a bit and there really is a marked difference looking between the 16" and 17" wheel.

I've been trying to find a pic to see what these look like. Do you or anyone else have e-pics of the LC 17" aluminum wheels? I'm assuming they can replace the stock 18s as well.

I would like to see a pic of these wheels as well. I have a nearly new set of 285/70R/17 BFG AT's that just came off of Ford F-150.

Thanks,
Chris

Here's a pic of our 2003 Land Cruiser Sahara which comes standard with 17" x 8" alloys.

sahara01.jpg

Here is the standard 18x8" on my 2004 100
cruzwe2.JPG

Robert, looks good w/o the boards. :beer:

Thanks.... That's an older pic here she is with the OME 866 and t-bars... getting the 285/65R18 BFG AT's in a couple days and the ARB Bull bar is next (its at the paint shop)
cruzer866.JPG

Mohit said:
Here's a pic of our 2003 Land Cruiser Sahara which comes standard with 17" x 8" alloys.

Mohit, thanks for taking the time and posting the pic of your LC Sahara... I like those better than the 18's that came on my 2005. Again, I'm assuming these are a direct bolt-on, and can replace the newer 18's.... and are available through the OEM parts catalog??

BTW, what size tire are you running?

Although I promised myself I would leave my new LC stock, I'm comtemplating selling my fleet and doing the inevitable; OEM suspension, 17" wheels, tires and typical armor.

Very nice LC, again thanks!

3fj40 said:
Let me know if you want to sell your 18s too, I may know a taker.

It may be awhile, but I'll make sure you're the first to be notified!

Very off topic, but I have to sell my other stuff first.... too many vehicles. The Jeep is a no-brainer.... I'm struggling with selling my Plymouth, I don't know if I should sell now or wait until the original builder retires and forces the prices even higher. The risk factor of waiting is a huge recession or the nostalgic craze dying off along with the Baby Boomers. Decisions, decisions. :confused:

Last edited:
3fj40 said:

The 16" looks better JMHO and gives you more tire choices. Plus 16's will give you more of the performance that these vehilces are built to provide. The large wheel low profile tire is a bling/on road cornering performance thing. Thats all they had at SEMA this year, bling 20",22"24" for your ghetto runs :)

SWUtah said:
The 16" looks better JMHO and gives you more tire choices. Plus 16's will give you more of the performance that these vehilces are built to provide. The large wheel low profile tire is a bling/on road cornering performance thing. Thats all they had at SEMA this year, bling 20",22"24" for your ghetto runs :)

I agree. The more tire and less wheel, the better off road. I'd put 15" wheels on my 100 if they would fit.

I very much used to agree. However the state of the tire industry is increasingly larger wheel diameters. You now have a larger selection of larger tires greater than 34" with 17" rims. 16" rims you are actually more limited. For the short term (1 year +) 34" (315s) is probably what I'll move to, but would like to eventually run 35s/36s (we'll see how that goes).

Maybe it's just living in Scottsdale a little too long (where the dealerships change out to 20" blades before they even hit the lot) that I now think a little larger wheel looks good. :doh:

I also think the 16's look better and probably would perform better offroad due to higher profile sidewalls.... the 17's are the largest wheels I would personally mount on an LC considering the size and available aspect ratios, you still need to drive on-road to get to the offroad....

And the more you increase rotational mass, there's a point that's reached when it's almost required to increase the size of the rotors, calipers and pads for stopping performance.... which also requires larger wheels. Just ask me about the limits of OEM Jeep brakes with large tires on stock 15's.... if I mount one tire size larger it can be deemed unsafe, if it isn't already.

Some of the large chrome-wheel trends are purely to satisfy the hip-hop ghetto-bling crowd. But for the most part it started out as a requirement to improve stopping power on the heavyweights.... whether it be a Ferrari for on-road hi-performance capabilities, or a SUV/truck for increased brake perfomance due to its size, weight and towing capacity.

I've yet to confirm if you can run 16's on a new 2005 LC...

Last edited:
I don't think you'd have any issues at all with an OEM 16" wheel on your 05. I have no way of knowing that other than I can't imagine they've changed the rotors and brake calipers since the 16s were available.

There have been changes in the brake calipers between the early and later years however the rotors have always stayed the same size. Take a look at CTapia's '04 LX470. He retrofitted 16's to it. I don't recall any brake changes from '04 to '05.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom