Request for advice where to start our 71 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where does the vacuum hose from the distributor vacuum nipple go? It looks like you have a '77 vacuum advance distributor, which is the best (and latest) 2F points distributor. Does the breaker plate rotate CCW when vacuum is applied to the nipple on the advancer? If it doesn't, or seems sluggish, all it may need is to have the old grease cleaned out and reassembled with new distributor grease. Sometimes the 50 small ball bearings inside have to be replaced (they can develop flat spots). I have a lot of those, plus new races if they are really worn (I sell an inexpensive "kit" - races, ball bearings, and clips). And there's a bushing on the mechanical advance stop pin under the breaker plate that's usually gone, but can be easily replaced with a nylon or aluminum sleeve from the hardware store. Search the forums for the stop pin bushing replacement.

I would imagine that tube from the vacuum thingy on the distributor is just laying there as right now there is no carb on the motor. It had the 71 carburetor on it when I got it. I pulled it to rebuild it. I don’t think the 71 carb has a vacuum port from what I have read. I got the 76/77 carb off a 1979 FJ55 I think.

Install a Sniper EFI. Want to feel the difference between carb & EFI, you are more than welcome to come have a drive.

I am sure this would be a great way to go but I am “trying” to keep the expenses down on Patina Queen since I have so many things going on at the moment. Since I already own two carburetors it just makes more sense right now to “run what you brung”. Now if you have some advice regarding which carb to use and how to handle the blending of old 71 F with a 2 F I would love some help.

I am sure this would be a great way to go but I am “trying” to keep the expenses down on Patina Queen since I have so many things going on at the moment. Since I already own two carburetors it just makes more sense right now to “run what you brung”. Now if you have some advice regarding which carb to use and how to handle the blending of old 71 F with a 2 F I would love some help.
Run the F carb and intake on the 2F. Throttle cable is way easier to setup than converting to the linkage. Plus, you’ll get a little extra room for the brake master.

Run the F carb and intake on the 2F. Throttle cable is way easier to setup than converting to the linkage. Plus, you’ll get a little extra room for the brake master.

I don’t have an F Carburetor, or do it? Is the 71/72 Carburetor with the throttle cable with the barrel ends a F Carburetor?

My '71 has a '76 2F, but all the accessories are from the F engine. For my build, I'm making some changes. I'm keeping the simpler early carburetor that's already had the advance port added, but upgrading to a '76 air cleaner. The air cleaner inlet has the heat diverter, which will come in handy during the winter months (I live at 7,240 feet in the mountains of northern New Mexico). The early carburetor is shorter, so I bought an extension/adapter from City Racer to make up the difference. Because the later air cleaner interferes with the throttle cable, I'm using a '73 carburetor linkage with a custom throttle cable. I'm also using 3FE exhaust manifolds with the F intake manifold. And I'll be installing FJ60 electronic ignition with vacuum advance, just like on my '76 FJ40.

I don’t have an F Carburetor, or do it? Is the 71/72 Carburetor with the throttle cable with the barrel ends a F Carburetor?
Yup - this is an F carb and the easiest route to keep your stock throttle linkage and air cleaner setup. @65swb45 is a good source for parts and wisdom on these ;) Looks like a great father/daughter project -

tucker

I do have a T-Hole carb, tapped for the return line as well, you could borrow while having the OEM rebuilt.

I would imagine that tube from the vacuum thingy on the distributor is just laying there as right now there is no carb on the motor. It had the 71 carburetor on it when I got it. I pulled it to rebuild it. I don’t think the 71 carb has a vacuum port from what I have read. I got the 76/77 carb off a 1979 FJ55 I think.

Edit. There are two vacuum Ports on the Carburetor base plate. Not sure where they go. There is a vacuum line coming out of the distributor and runs over to the VS? emission thingy. There are a number of tubes out of the VS thingy. One looks like it might have gone base of Carburetor or the other thingy on side of Carburetor. Pls excuse all my technical jargon LOL.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The PO probably swapped out the motor from a 78, but used the carb from the original motor. The date of your VIN seems to match the date of your carb :)

Yes your motor is a 2F and your FJ40 originally would have come with the earlier F motor. You can look at the number on the block and look it up. It will tell you what it is. That is easy to look up :)

Saw this post, working on getting a 40 for my son. Exactly the same color, T1028 spring green. he wants to repaint in freeborn red. I will pm you if we get the truck, maybe we can get the 2 kids on the same page and build them out.

I have confirmed my block is a 2F 76-77 vintage. And as @Vexvader confirmed my carburetor is 71.

PLEASE don’t repaint that! The color looks perfect! Love the mild patina look

Will not be painted! Not fixing any body flaws. We will do all mechanical systems and roll with it in style. Patina Queen is what she’s called.

I have so many questions that I am going to start sub-threads because a lot of my questions seem to get passed over by the next question I ask. Sorry, it's the ADD in me. My mind goes fast. So I have a question about sourcing the center hump sheet metal. Don't see it listed anywhere. Thx

I have ordered a ton of parts. First step is getting it running. Then on to the brakes. Going four wheel disc. Using Poser's kit will all the other parts needed. I used the list the @BrianSanDiego was so gracious to list out. I did the same thing on my LV, but it has been so long ago I didn't remember much. Brian's list made it easy.

I also ordered another one of these Stainless Steel battery trays. They are really nice. I have used them in both of my other rigs.

1618852689238.png

Would like help on how to correct the alignment of the front fenders/apron/bib. Truck was hit lightly on front right corner and shifted all the aforementioned to the left. Loosing bolts will not fix it as I am sure there are some tweaked metal. Any suggestions on how to force it back over?

IMG_0610.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom