Request for advice where to start our 71 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

merbesfield

SILVER Star
Threads
EDIT: We have named our project "Project Patina Queen", which is a nod to @wngrog 's "Project Patina". After re-reading his build thread, it is amazing how similar our build is to his. We got lucky, ours came with a 2F.

This is a new project for me, but I am not new to Mud. This may be long. My daughter wants to do a father daughter project with the 71 FJ40 I have had sitting since I acquired it in 2006. It actually ran when I got it. I was able to start it and drive it onto the trailer. Unfortunately, I continued the neglect it had received over the years and didn’t pull it indoors like I should have. We pulled the carburetor off some time ago and it has disappeared. The clutch is stuck and when I pressed the clutch pedal something broke and it went to the floor. It is full of rust, but we are not going to deal with that. We want to do a complete mechanical restoration and drive it as a patina rig. So basically all the systems need refreshing. I have never really done a lot of mechanical work, more welding and fabrication. I know we can figure it all out by reading and searching Mud. My question and request for help is how do we decide what to do first? Is there an order for repairs or a place where I can learn how to best get a vehicle back on the road that has been off for a long time. Thanks for the help.
18C52B95-1E97-4C07-8156-341E60B8D53A.jpeg

48224087-3FCF-4F58-BA25-48141236B34D.jpeg

A63ADA54-E9F3-481C-9AD5-22D07530E2A4.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is my daughter, Emily, doing something. Funny in this set of pics I see the carburetor so hopefully I can find it. Oh yea, the engine is out of a 78 if than makes a difference. It was rebuilt before it was in SBT the PO.
D3D618C7-C5D7-493D-A7B3-ED4106E36182.jpeg

I also would like to upgrade the front drums to disc. I have these parts, which I was told long ago, would work for the conversion. I don’t remember what I was told, too long ago. Maybe it’s easier to source a complete axle?
83CDB659-108F-449E-B90C-F3D70D594CBB.jpeg

8E8A5E2E-BA61-4346-9B0F-79B7E12529AD.jpeg
5F655874-67F6-4F7E-9BD7-EDFEE39FAE3E.jpeg
D25D2117-1140-4FA9-8AAA-9312FC79D06D.jpeg
950582D0-FDEB-41D1-808F-A355F6B7748E.jpeg

Change all fluids, check brakes, check engine cooling systems (radiator and hoses and coolant flush) I think those are the top 3 starters.

Change all fluids, check brakes, check engine cooling systems (radiator and hoses and coolant flush) I think those are the top 3 starters.

I think the brakes will be shot just guessing having sat so long and being drums? But maybe not. The clutch is definitely an issue since it broke.

Exactly. Brakes first, then your clutch problem, then make sure the thermostat opens so nothing overheats, then drive it to see what else needs attention. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I personally really like the drum brakes, those things can lock up at 60mph no problem. If you are going with really oversized tires, then maybe worry about upgrading the brakes.

Exactly. Brakes first, then your clutch problem, then make sure the thermostat opens so nothing overheats, then drive it to see what else needs attention. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I personally really like the drum brakes, those things can lock up at 60mph no problem. If you are going with really oversized tires, then maybe worry about upgrading the brakes.

Definitely not oversized wheels. Keeping skinny original wheels and tires. I just “assumed” the old drum brakes were always problematic? But you know what they say about assuming something? Ass out of U and me...

Saw this post, working on getting a 40 for my son. Exactly the same color, T1028 spring green. he wants to repaint in freeborn red. I will pm you if we get the truck, maybe we can get the 2 kids on the same page and build them out.

My question and request for help is how do we decide what to do first?

On my FJ45 project, I started at the bottom and worked up (sorta). Axles/suspension/brakes/steering. The wiring, interior. Finally, engine/trans/xfer/driveshafts. Break the vehicle into subsystems (like these) and write down everything each subsystem needs. Some can wait - typically springs and bushings - do those later. YMMV, but the whole elephant is eaten one bite at a time, not all at once.

You’ll want to check your wheels if switching from drum brakes to disc brakes. The riveted wheels will interfere with the disc brake calipers. Either get yourself a set of welded wheels or I believe you can grind down part of the caliper to make it work.
Sweet cruiser by the way.

This is a new project for me, but I am not new to Mud. This may be long. My daughter wants to do a father daughter project with the 71 FJ40 I have had sitting since I acquired it in 2006. It actually ran when I got it. I was able to start it and drive it onto the trailer. Unfortunately, I continued the neglect it had received over the years and didn’t pull it indoors like I should have. We pulled the carburetor off some time ago and it has disappeared. The clutch is stuck and when I pressed the clutch pedal something broke and it went to the floor. It is full of rust, but we are not going to deal with that. We want to do a complete mechanical restoration and drive it as a patina rig. So basically all the systems need refreshing. I have never really done a lot of mechanical work, more welding and fabrication. I know we can figure it all out by reading and searching Mud. My question and request for help is how do we decide what to do first? Is there an order for repairs or a place where I can learn how to best get a vehicle back on the road that has been off for a long time. Thanks for the help.
View attachment 2628344
View attachment 2628345
View attachment 2628346
It looks like some glass is missing. I did know where to find some, let me know if you're in need, I'll see if its still available.

Saw this post, working on getting a 40 for my son. Exactly the same color, T1028 spring green. he wants to repaint in freeborn red. I will pm you if we get the truck, maybe we can get the 2 kids on the same page and build them out.
I’m building a freeborn red 40 too, pretty nice color, even if it is a little faded

7F725B11-9526-4D45-9947-5E76BFF01836.jpeg

8F441D6D-9E15-49A5-BD51-506D92D6F078.jpeg

Definitely not oversized wheels. Keeping skinny original wheels and tires. I just “assumed” the old drum brakes were always problematic? But you know what they say about assuming something? Ass out of U and me...
It also looks like a new brake master cylinder might be in your future. I wanted to mention, I bought two remanufactured masters in a row that didn't work right. They would build pressure but not release. The brakes would start dragging as I was driving and I had to open a bleeder nipple on a wheel cylinder to release the pressure and continue driving. Found a new Aisin part number master (for double the price) and haven't had a brake issue since. Finally freed me to move on to the next problem.

Last edited:
I have a '71 that I'm starting to build after being off the road since 2001. At the time it was last registered it had a '76 2F from the PO (with the '71 F engine carburetor and intake/exhaust manifold) , a non-US vacuum advance distributor, front disc brake conversion using mini-truck/FJ60/4-Runner parts, power steering conversion using mini-truck/Tercel parts, a 4-speed/transfer case from a '78 FJ55, and FJ60 chrome spoke wheels with BFG 30X9.50R15 ATs. For the build I'll be installing an H41 4-speed from an '84 HJ47 mated to a split transfer case from an '85 BJ45 (3:1 gears), 3.70 differentials from an '82 FJ60, 70-Series wheels with BFG LT235/85R16 ATs, 3FE exhaust manifolds, and a '76 air cleaner assembly. I'll also be installing a new OME suspension.

The first thing I did to get the engine running was to change the oil and filter, drain and refill the radiator and cooling system, replace the fuel filter, rebuild the carburetor, clean and drain the fuel tank, blow out the fuel lines from the tank, and replace the plugs/points/condenser/coil. I did a valve adjustment soon afterwards. I haven't checked the front brakes yet because the upgraded axle only had a few thousand miles on it. I have all the parts for another front disc brake axle, so will build that and swap the current one into my '76 FJ40. One option for front disc brakes is simply to swap in an axle from a '76 or later FJ40 as mentioned above.

The patina on that is great! Please keep it. Now, what you really want to do is completely tear it all apart and fully restore the frame.....

Just kidding. I would change fluids, probably pull the fuel tank and try to clean it if it has been sitting for that long, and see if you can get it driving. I personally would go with disk brakes if possible. Much easier maintenance wise, and you don't need to be adjusting them all the time. I would start putting some oil down the cylinders, especially if it has been sitting with the carb off, long before you try to start it.

That looks like a great project, getting it running and enjoying it will be the best.

You’ll want to check your wheels if switching from drum brakes to disc brakes. The riveted wheels will interfere with the disc brake calipers. Either get yourself a set of welded wheels or I believe you can grind down part of the caliper to make it work.
Sweet cruiser by the way.

While not sleeping last night I was going over this exact situation in my mind. I had the idea, couldn’t I weld the seams and then grind down the rivets? Seems like it would work given folks weld wheels to widen them etc. I could also buy 16” from City Racer but that’s just spending money at the beginning of the project that will be needed for other more important items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom