Request for advice where to start our 71 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well this is interesting. No it has not been converted to many front engagement. Nothing on the floor. It does have the lever on the dash, which of course is frozen solid. So it sounds like I have one more system that will have to be dealt with. For some reason this is something I’m not looking forward to. Is it complicated? From the looks of it, it appears very crusty. It have Warn free wheeling hubs fwiw.
It's pretty easy to convert to manual front drive engagement, a few parts to swap out. You should be able to find used parts here on MUD.

These diagrams should help:

Manual Engagement.png

Vacuum Engagement - 1.png

Vacuum Engagement - 2.png

It's pretty easy to convert to manual front drive engagement, a few parts to swap out. You should be able to find used parts here on MUD.

These diagrams should help:

View attachment 2629305

View attachment 2629306

View attachment 2629307

I think I see where the parts would swap out. Is the engagement mechanism for 3spd the same or different than the 4spd? I would like to install a 4spd transmission H42, but not sure if that also requires a different transfer case. If so then I would probably be better to source a complete unit, if possible, which would likely have the floor shift mechanism.

Emily started on cleaning and disassembly today. She got a good start and did a good job. Lots of nasty stuff removed and then seat removal. She only broke one rusted bolt off. I on the other hand literally broke every bolt I touched and I was trying to be gentle. She definitely has the touch. We are planning on doing a YouTube series. Not sure how well it will be edited at first, but we will learn as we go. I’ll post a link when we have it uploaded.

B3C031CE-6339-4C38-834C-FC7C0BB12EBA.jpeg

I think I see where the parts would swap out. Is the engagement mechanism for 3spd the same or different than the 4spd? I would like to install a 4spd transmission H42, but not sure if that also requires a different transfer case. If so then I would probably be better to source a complete unit, if possible, which would likely have the floor shift mechanism.
The shift linkages are different but the rest is basically the same. For my '76 FJ40 I installed an early H41 4-speed mated to the 3-speed transfer case from a '69 FJ55 I parted out at the local landfill. That was back from the Pirate4X4 days. A lot of write-ups on what's required. I used all 3-speed clutch components so I could use the heavier F engine flywheel.

See my Posts #2 and #3 here Which year Eng,trans,trans case interchange? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/which-year-eng-trans-trans-case-interchange.1097391/#post-11962491 for a couple of links.

I also would like to upgrade the front drums to disc. I have these parts, which I was told long ago, would work for the conversion. I don’t remember what I was told, too long ago. Maybe it’s easier to source a complete axle?
It looks like you have everything you need to convert to disk brakes except the rotors, proportioning valve, master cylinder, and booster. You would probably would want to replace those with new ones anyway. You also will want to rebuild the front axle with new seals and bearings, even if you buy a newer used disk break one.

If you keep the axel you have, you will need to know what those knuckles came off of and buy a rebuild kit for those knuckles. They look just like the ones on my 1977 FJ40. If you buy a newer disk brake axle make sure it is the same gear ratio as the back, or that you can swap the gears or diff out of yours so it matches the ration of the rear.

Front Disk breaks became standard September of 1975

TLC FAQ - 15.1 40 Series Production Timeline - http://www.cruiserfaq.com/15-01.php

Either way I have the Toyota knuckle centering tools you will need to rebuild and center your knuckles. Let me know when you need to barrow them :)

MM

Last edited:
The shift linkages are different but the rest is basically the same. For my '76 FJ40 I installed an early H41 4-speed mated to the 3-speed transfer case from a '69 FJ55 I parted out at the local landfill. That was back from the Pirate4X4 days. A lot of write-ups on what's required. I used all 3-speed clutch components so I could use the heavier F engine flywheel.

See my Posts #2 and #3 here Which year Eng,trans,trans case interchange? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/which-year-eng-trans-trans-case-interchange.1097391/#post-11962491 for a couple of links.
Thanks for this. I think I need to eat this elephant one bite at a time so I will focus on getting it running, then move to things like transmission and brakes, but I am most definitely going disc.

It looks like you have everything you need to convert to disk brakes except the rotors, proportioning valve, master cylinder, and booster. You would probably would want to replace those with new ones anyway. You also will want to rebuild the front axle with new seals and bearings, even if you buy a new one. If you keep the axel you have, you will need to know what those knuckles came off of and buy a rebuild kit for those knuckles. They look just like the ones on my 1977 FJ40. If you buy a whole new disk brake axle make sure it is the same gear ratio as the back, or that you can swap the gears or diff out of yours so it matches the ration of the rear.

Either way I have the Toyota knuckle centering tools you will need to rebuild and center your knuckles. Let me know when you need to barrow them :)

MM
Sounds like we need to talk further about what I have and what I will need. You are much more versed in the mechanical side of Cruisers. I am just learning, but if I have most of the parts then it probably makes more sense to convert the axel we have assuming the gears are already the same front and rear.

Thanks for this. I think I need to eat this elephant one bite at a time so I will focus on getting it running, then move to things like transmission and brakes, but I am most definitely going disc.
Yes get it running first!!

When you get ready for the disk brake conversion, everything you need is on the thread below. The Cruiser Outfiters folks are great. I bought my knuckle rebuild kit from them and I would highly recommend them. I even called them in the middle of the rebuild and they helped with a few questions.

MM

The parts I didnt see in the disc pics was the birfields, lockouts and shims. Shims can come with a kit. You need to id what knuckles you have. If you go to FAQs at the top of this section and scroll down to frt ends, the 1st 2 threads will help with id'ing your parts

well,,, tear it all apart and start over.. 80% of the parts can be rebuilt / cleaned up including the frame, etc.
it will take 18-24 months but you all will learn a ton and be $$ ahead versus piecemealing and constantl;y chasing gremlins.

just dive it, buy lots of baggies and mark everything and take pictures. by next summer you will have a great rig and some cool new tools and skills.

well,,, tear it all apart and start over.. 80% of the parts can be rebuilt / cleaned up including the frame, etc.
it will take 18-24 months but you all will learn a ton and be $$ ahead versus piecemealing and constantl;y chasing gremlins.

just dive it, buy lots of baggies and mark everything and take pictures. by next summer you will have a great rig and some cool new tools and skills.

I have gone this route before. Don’t need another full resto project. Goal is to get it running then work on bits and pieces w the understanding that it will be a rolling rusty cruiser. I have the skills to make it new, but not the desire. At least right now.

Can someone help ID my carb? According to the stamping on top it should be April 1972. 2D 10
Before I order the kit if someone could confirm this. Of course I will call Cruiser Outfitters and chat with them. Unfortunately I am missing one of the brass butterflies. I hope this part is available or if someone has an extra piece let me know. I wanted to send the carburetor to JimC but he is 6 weeks out. I’m sure by the time I get around to it I could/should have sent it to him LOL. But I guess we will give it a try and rebuild it ourselves. Emily has never torn a Carb apart so even it it’s not successful it will still be fun.
82B22C19-AC42-42AA-AD51-05568C2ADC31.jpeg

C4266BD4-47D2-4433-9656-7229565584CF.jpeg
44DF5AE4-6547-4F48-B4E7-87BE7E45F46B.jpeg

DA53DB59-6BBF-47F5-831C-A9B30FB9B1C7.jpeg

3E882FB3-DEFA-4291-B47C-5F96A59E05BA.jpeg

Here is the short list of stuff I think we need just to get started. I am fairly confident it will run. It “ran when parked” and I put stuff in the cylinders so I know it’s not frozen. Let me know if I’m missing something.

Carb rebuild kit-ordered from FJ parts
Gas tank-ordered repro from CCOT
Gas tank sending unit-ordered OEM from FJ parts
Gas tank hoses
Gas tank hose clamps clamps
Gas tank straps-will reuse as NLA
Gas tank felt pads (not critical)
Fuel lines
Tune up parts etc
Accelerator cable-ordered from FJ parts
Choke cable

Once it’s running I’ll move to brakes.