Report October Cal4wheel Assoc. Meeting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4wdlow.com
Re: Cal4wheel Southern District Meeting held in Hemet, Ca. 10/29/11

Hello All Club Members.

Because I could not make the November 1st meeting I have put this together in order to keep you guys informed as to what when on. If I haven’t said this before let me say it now, I am amazed at how much Helen and Harry Baker do for the Cal 4wheel association especially when you know they are volunteers.

If you haven’t done so already I urge you to check out the new web site of Cal 4wheel, Home - California Association of 4WD Clubs, Inc. it’s has an all new format. While you are there you can also check out information on the upcoming convention. It’s going to be in the Southern District, February 24-26 at the Courtyard by Marriott in Hesperia Ca. The theme of the convention is a Tribute to Johnson Valley. There will be runs mild to wild on Friday and Saturday, including Hammer Runs, Cougar Buttes runs and a SUV run.

There were two guest speakers, the first was Steve Quartieri, State Park Interpreter for Ocotillo Wells State Park. Steve talked about the events they offer which surprised me. As a result of this meeting all club delegates are on his emailing list and we will be receiving info on what will be happening. When I receive these I will forward it to all of you. Just a couple of examples, Steve talked about was every Friday they provide an adventure tour of various parts of the park which as you know contains an off-road vehicle area, they also have geocaching adventures. Ocotillo Wells SVRA

The other speaker was Randy Banus from the Desert Advisory Council. Randy talked about the Desert Renewable Energy Conservation Plan and how Solar, Wind and Geothermal and coming big in the desert whether you or I like it or not. He said that this is the biggest threat we face in the desert. He described his job is to stop the juggernaut from effecting recreation. I could go on about this subject but it would only bore you. It is belonging and supporting organizations like Cal 4 wheel that will work to keep our recreation available in the desert.

I was surprised to learn that Oceana Dunes (which is under attack by the environmentalists) is the most visited and camped in of our State Parks.

I will leave you with this last point to again demonstrate why it is important to belong to AND SUPPORT this organization. The Sema show is coming up which Cal4wheel always has a booth. They wanted to come up with something to have at the show that would have Visual Impact. Steve Gardiner from the South District came up with this. He took the entire thread from the Pirate Board Forum on the Marines trying to take over Johnson Valley, entitled it “Marines Go East” and printed it on 10 colored posters and taped them all together for a poster that is 105 feet long by 4 feet high. He did it himself on his time. Thanks for reading and your continued support.

That was a lot of typing! Thank you John.:)

Randy Banis is :cool: I have worked with him on the Friends of Jawbone and the BLM Steering Committee in Ridgecrest for several years now. He has enormous computer skills and great organizational skills as well, making him a tremendous asset to the off road community. Randy is not only a member of the Desert Advisory Council, he is its current chairman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom