Replacing windshield tomorrow at dealership - any quick tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm guessing he means because lowering that to $250 or something is cheap.

FYI, my policy has a separate glass deductible. And it's $0. I had the same with Geico and now have All-State. Normally glass claims have a very low deductible. This is a glass claim - make sure they're processing it as such. It might fall into a special category within your glass policy. If your policy has no glass claim category, you might want to switch insurance companies and join the 21st century. ;)
Correct. Lowering the comprehensive deductible has a nominal impact to the new overall rate.

Wow, well, I'm happy to hear you got it done correctly!

Out of curiosity, what was that discussion like with the insurance company?
Were there key phrases you had said regarding the screws vs rivets?

I'm worried the inevitable conversation with the insurance company will be with someone on the insurance side who doesn't see the big deal about screws vs rivets.
To answer your question, there wasn't much of a discussion other than "Safelite did it wrong, I'm taking it to a shop I prefer and getting them to fix the mistake, take it up with Safelite"

USAA has always treated me well with respect to insurance and this was no exception. I did have to talk to Safelite corporate a couple times but they owned their mistake and made sure that USAA got reimbursed relatively quickly.

To echo other responses, document your concern, present lots of pictures from here as evidence to support why you're concerned, and you shouldn't have an issue since you are effectively trying to save them money by doing it RIGHT the first time around!

This is good yet mildly disconcerting info. Is there any way to tell if someone did an incorrect install after the fact without some obvious water entry into the cab?

The previous owner of my LC had the windshield replaced. I looked back a the receipts and it was done by Safelite as well. There were actually two replacements, and there was literally a sticky note on the first one that I didn't remember that said "drove home from work tonight, heard wind noise". There is no wind noise now, and the replacement was a while ago so I can only hope the PO sorted it out with Safelite.

I don't have any water ingress that I've seen, but that doesn't mean there is none. It also doesn't take a lot to cause a lot of corrosion. Any places to inspect with the glass in, shy of waiting for the next crack who-knows-how-long down the road and inspecting it then when everything is out?

Wow, well, I'm happy to hear you got it done correctly!

Out of curiosity, what was that discussion like with the insurance company?
Were there key phrases you had said regarding the screws vs rivets?

I'm worried the inevitable conversation with the insurance company will be with someone on the insurance side who doesn't see the big deal about screws vs rivets.
If the insurance Co has already approved the estimate posted your concern about the rivets should be directed to the dealer directly. Just let them know you want the factory style rivets and, as others mentioned, if you can request photos that's even better. For $1,800 it shouldn't be an issue. I'd love to pay $750 and get all new trim and OEM glass...

This is good yet mildly disconcerting info. Is there any way to tell if someone did an incorrect install after the fact without some obvious water entry into the cab?

The previous owner of my LC had the windshield replaced. I looked back a the receipts and it was done by Safelite as well. There were actually two replacements, and there was literally a sticky note on the first one that I didn't remember that said "drove home from work tonight, heard wind noise". There is no wind noise now, and the replacement was a while ago so I can only hope the PO sorted it out with Safelite.

I don't have any water ingress that I've seen, but that doesn't mean there is none. It also doesn't take a lot to cause a lot of corrosion. Any places to inspect with the glass in, shy of waiting for the next crack who-knows-how-long down the road and inspecting it then when everything is out?
I am in the same boat.

I see from the Lexus service records that the PO of my '05 complained about wind noise at 18K miles. The Lexus dealer "fixed" the issue. Then at 79K mile, the harness under the dash and the fuse boards had to be replaced because so much water leaked in.

The Lexus dealer stated it was caused by the extra holes drilled into the A-pillars, using "metal screws" to tighten down the trim pieces-not even factory rivets.

They sent it down the road to a local windshield shop to replace/or repair this issue.

And now I own a truck that has had known holes put in by a dealer. I do not see any rust starting around the windshield, but now I am a bit worried about leaving it outdoors as I intended.

Thanks to everyone on here for this info and stressing the importance of getting the trim installed correctly. I had a chip/crack and scheduled a replacement with a local reputable shop (no Safelite, etc) with a $0 glass deductible through my insurance. I asked before the start if they had the proper rivets and trim and was told "everything needed has been ordered."

They were kind enough to let me see the truck with the old glass out and it overall looked pretty clean. Some minor spots to grind/touch up with primer, no big deal.

Well, long story long, I got the truck back with the glass in, and they forgot to put in the secondary trim pieces. Thank God they did, since underneath was a weird combo of rivets and screws. I didn't catch that the holes present with the glass out were not the factory spots and the originals had been filled in.

I went back into the shop and they explained that it came that way and new rivets couldn't fit in the enlarged holes. So I put a stop to the whole thing, got in touch with my insurance and took it to a body shop to have done correctly.

Ultimately, the best info for anyone on here is to know where the common issues are and to talk to your insurance company if this gets messed up by an installer or even was that way beforehand. ~$1000 of repairs are being covered with no deductible by my insurer to get these holes patched, the metal cleaned up, brand new trim pieces, and everything repainted. Hopefully wind noise will be reduced compared to before and I can rest easy at night about the leaks and rust issues that have been prevented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom