Replacing the Wheel Bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is a...?

My husband is going to (maybe) replace the front wheel bearings in out '98 4Runner, and the Haynes says we need to use an SST, or equivalent, to remove the steering knuckle.

Problem is, we have no clue what an SST (or equivalent) is... Can someone shed some light on this please?

Thanks... I also just realized I posted in the wrong sub forum. My bad. :D

My husband is going to (maybe) replace the front wheel bearings in out '98 4Runner, and the Haynes says we need to use an SST, or equivalent, to remove the steering knuckle.

Problem is, we have no clue what SST (or equivalent) is needed... Can someone shed some light on this please?

Also, is this something we could use a regular tool for? If so, what kind of tool? Will not using an SST effect the safety?

Special Service Tool. I'd suggest to pull the knuckles off and carry them somewhere to get them replaced. Bearings cost more than the labor to have new ones pressed in.

I thought 96 and up used a sealed unit bearing in the front, nothing to press in or out.

You can do this at home if you have a hydraulic shop press. I don't know what SST you would need to remove the knuckle. Unbolt the tie rod end and remove it, undo the ball joints, and pull it out pretty much. The hub presses into the bearing and the bearing presses into the spindle. So you have to press the hub out first, then remove the snap ring, and press out the bearing. I replaced both fronts and one rear on the 00 4Runner I used to have. Fronts aren't bad but rears are a huge PITA. Of course if you don't have a press I would suggest taking the spindle off the truck and drop it off with a machine shop or someone else who does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom