Replacing rear leaf spring OEM reserable shackle bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched for suggestions/instructions on how to do this and not really finding a list (Maybe I didn’t read enough of the results.) I thought I throw one together.
I took me about 2 weeks to complete this task, primarily because of the rain we had in GA and because I wasn’t sure how to complete the task. Once I determined the best way (for me) to do this it took about 2 hours.

1. Chock the front wheels
  2. Loosen the lug nuts on the rear wheels.
  3. Jack the vehicle. The height may be determined by the amount of lift etc your vehicle has. The goal is to be able to move the rear axle from side to side to line up with the frame. The axle may move when the shackle bolts/plates are removed. Be aware of the brake line.You don’t want that line to support the weight of the axle.Place the jack under the axle at the diff.
  4. Remove the lug nuts/rear wheels.
  5. My exhaust pipe is on the left side. I couldn’t remove the support bolts regardless of the amount of PT Blaster I used.. They were very rusty. It was a PITA to work around this bracket.
  6. Remove the shackles and the old bushings.If possible it isn’t necessary to disassemble the shackles themselves.If you do end up disassembling the shackles pay attention to the disassembly so you may reverse the process when putting everything back together..
  7. Insert the new bushings.Do NOT put grease on the bushing to ease insertion.
  8. Grease the shackle bolts and insert them into the new bushings If you disassembled the shackle you will need to attach the bolts to the shackle and insert it as a complete unit. It will probably be necessary to raise/lower the jack to line up the rear spring shackle bushings with the bushings in the spring hangers on the frame.I found it necessary to use a ratchet strap with one end attached to one of the leaf springs and the other end attached to the frame to adjust the hanging spring to line up the leaf spring laterally. You may need to adjust the height and lateral position to line up the shackle bolts with the shackles.
  9. I also found it necessary to attach a bolt to one of the shackles and tighten the bolt to help the bushing seat against the shackle. Then remove the bolt, add the lock washer, and retighten.

I realize photos would be very helpful. I apologize for the lack of photos. I was somewhat frustrated with the entire process before I determined what needed to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom