Replacing a broken center console top lid latch. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I purchased my 06 LC it had the velco "fix" for the broken center console top lid latch. I got tired of the lid opening up when I'd go over the road humps in my neighborhood so I wanted to find a replacement latch. As we know, the latch is not sold separately by Toyota and you have to buy the whole lid at over $200 to get a replacement piece. Here's my fix for under $30.

1. Order a replacement latch from eBay. I grabbed this one:
2002 - 2006 Toyota CAMRY Lexus ES300 Console Armrest LATCH SET black upper latch | eBay

2. Remove the four screws holding the lid on:

3. Gently break apart the plastic interior from the leather cap. I used the trim removal tools I purchased from Northern Tool during my lock actuator motor replacement. Just go slow and make your way around the edges. Note the picture in step 6 to see how many and what kind of joints you are breaking:

4. Remove the two screws holding the old latch and install the new latch:

5. Dry fit the plastic back on a few times. It's snug around the latch and you want to be sure you can set it properly when you've got your adhesive applied:

6. Put a small amount of your choice adhesive on all of the little broken joints. I counted about 27 of them. I used the JB Weld I had left over from the lock actuator fix:

7. Apply a clamp or weight and let the adhesive cure. I used the heaviest book I had handy:

8. Reattach the top lid and enjoy a top lid that will actually stay latched...until it breaks again:

When I purchased my 06 LC it had the velco "fix" for the broken center console top lid latch. I got tired of the lid opening up when I'd go over the road humps in my neighborhood so I wanted to find a replacement latch. As we know, the latch is not sold separately by Toyota and you have to buy the whole lid at over $200 to get a replacement piece. Here's my fix for under $30.

1. Order a replacement latch from eBay. I grabbed this one:
2002 - 2006 Toyota CAMRY Lexus ES300 Console Armrest LATCH SET black upper latch | eBay

2. Remove the four screws holding the lid on:

3. Gently break apart the plastic interior from the leather cap. I used the trim removal tools I purchased from Northern Tool during my lock actuator motor replacement. Just go slow and make your way around the edges. Note the picture in step 6 to see how many and what kind of joints you are breaking:

4. Remove the two screws holding the old latch and install the new latch:

5. Dry fit the plastic back on a few times. It's snug around the latch and you want to be sure you can set it properly when you've got your adhesive applied:

6. Put a small amount of your choice adhesive on all of the little broken joints. I counted about 27 of them. I used the JB Weld I had left over from the lock actuator fix:

7. Apply a clamp or weight and let the adhesive cure. I used the heaviest book I had handy:

8. Reattach the top lid and enjoy a top lid that will actually stay latched...until it breaks again:

Nice. I did not have the patience to install one of those latches, so I did this:

Ever since I bought my LC nearly two years ago the top door/compartment on my center console did not latch. I had a strap holding it to the second door/hatch to keep it closed. I had been looking to buy another upper section and replace, but all options were $$$. So I came up with my own solution that was nearly zero $. I bought a magnet latch off of Amazon and some rivets at the hardware store. View attachment 1719478
And less than 10 minutes later......
View attachment 1719477
View attachment 1719476
Works perfectly. $13 ish for the latch and rivets. Saved myself about $137 compared to my other options.

@04gto How is this fix working for you a few years later? I don’t want to break the top off of my lid to do the “fix” only to have more glued parts leading to a known failure point.

@04gto How is this fix working for you a few years later? I don’t want to break the top off of my lid to do the “fix” only to have more glued parts leading to a known failure point.
It is still working perfectly. The magnet pieces attached via rivets are as snug and strong as the day I attached them. Has worked so well since day one that I never give it any thought. OEM level solution.

It is still working perfectly. The magnet pieces attached via rivets are as snug and strong as the day I attached them. Has worked so well since day one that I never give it any thought. OEM level solution.
I’ve never worked with rivets before, but I understand the concept. Did they work as straight forward in those two locations as they would anywhere else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom