replacement exhaust for my 96 land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for options in the US for a replacement exhaust. Is oem the only way to go? New to this. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

Bosal seems to get a bad rap on the forum, especially on the "If I was to do it all over again" thread. I plan on staying stock or having my local shop fabricate something out of the Toyota mufflers people take off their newer trucks. Can't go wrong with the stock set up, resonator seems mandatory. Haven't priced anything yet, hoping to get another year out of my stock set up. Well, that was helpful wasn't it! I know, thanks for nothing.:) Others more enlightened than me will chime in.

My exhaust is about 50% Bosal and 50% old, rusted toyota. The bosal system has some issues: smaller than stock tubing, bends are not smooth mandrel like stock (not crush-bent, but maybe beaten into shape a little bit, resonator is not really a resonator. The y-pipe might require extensive modification to fit (if you're getting new cats). But it will work.

I need everything from the engine block back. would it be harmful to the truck to straight pipe it with no cats?

My rig came w/ the Borla setup when I purchased it last year. A bit of drone at times and a few rattles I'd like to isolate, other than that no complaints. Unfortunately I can't answer questions on differences before/ after install or issues related to the install itself.

I went Magnaflow for the Y pipe and cats, had an off the shelf muffler put in. Luckily my resonator and most of the exhaust pipe is still in tact. Sounds much better now, probably have about $400 in it to quiet it back down.

magnaflow y pipe and cats fit perfectly and are really nice quality, fwiw. Unless you're really strapped for cash, that's the way I would go.

magnaflow y pipe and cats fit perfectly and are really nice quality, fwiw. Unless you're really strapped for cash, that's the way I would go.
@Heckraiser, Magnaflow lists no products for the 80 series on their website. What did you use?

Check for the Magnaflows on Amazon.com

Bosal seems to get a bad rap on the forum, especially on the "If I was to do it all over again" thread.

No bad rap from me for the $250 it cost to purchase and have it shipped right to my door step. Is it the best quality, no, does it fit perfect, yes. If I was to do it all over again I would have bought it a year earlier so I didn't have to listen to my horrible exhaust for so long.

I need everything from the engine block back. would it be harmful to the truck to straight pipe it with no cats?

What year is your truck ? 95 and newer, yes, its going to cause you problems.

Check for the Magnaflows on Amazon.com

Make absolutely sure its fulfilled by Amazon. I had to turn in one of the vendors last year after ordering that same PN along with a Borla cat back and never receiving them.

My other thoughts about Bosal. Yes its a cheap system and the bends look like hell. But it works, and it makes my truck quiet and enjoyable again. When I brought the tail pipe down on a rock last year (2 weeks after install) and crushed it, I was even more happy that I didn't shell out the money for something more expensive. I will say the flange gaskets that come with the kit are complete rubbish. Replace the two after cat ones with Duralast #60512 . That gasket is actually made in Japan, probably by Mahle.

@jfz80, thanks; I've bookmarked that for future reference. The specs indicate '95-'97; any idea if this will also work on the late model '94? My '94 is a November model and my '95 is a January model. Mechanically, I haven't found much difference between the two, although I haven't had both of them apart, side by side :)

Whoops. Sorry bout that. Didnt read the sig lines. Does your 95 have 2 inline or 2 side by side cats?

It would not direct bolt up but since we have just saftey inspections here i dont see why it wouldnt work with a little custom pipework to refit to existing system after it merges back to one? Youd have to fit the o2's likely, or run them in the pair valve spots.

Then i dont have a 93/4 with stock routing to reference.

Heres a non confirmational discussion though Magnaflow 23120 on 93/94?

I'll echo the Magnaflow Y and Cats.

My first 80 had a hacked exhaust, one cat and some crazy muffler/tailpipe setup.

I ended up with a Bosal muffler and tailpipe. Much quieter than what was on there, but louder than stock for sure.

find a good local exhaust guy and have it made custom, IMO always the best route with exhaust.....

Exactly. I had Boulder Muffler give me completely new exhaust. Manifold back. Tucked it over the frame, new cats, much cleaner Y joint and slightly bigger pipe all the way back. The guy is an artist. There is no way a kit would compare with this work.

Robbie recommended him and I am very pleased. I think he's done 4 80s now.

You can come check mine out any time if you like.

pmccumber what did that cost you? Im up in vail so that would be ideal if hes that close

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom