Relocating CDL switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
I want to relocate my CDL switch to the right side of the steering column in the blank 4 switch panel. I am adding lockers and will use that blank panel for the OEM rotary locker switch plus the air compressor switch. Moving the CDL switch will put all of the locker and air compressor switches in one place.

I do not want to cut the OEM harness wires to the existing CDL switch. I want to build an extension. To do this I need a female plug to match the OEM male connector and another male connector to go into the relocated switch.

How do I find the part numbers for these connectors? Can I buy these somewhere other than Toyota?

588DB433-4E32-4369-8AE9-A10F7449514D.jpeg
F73AB0F1-08EA-426D-9383-44274C165CE1.jpeg
1C8F9A0F-FA2F-41D3-8D3D-98423E7A8144.jpeg
728DE7B6-DFE3-4ACB-8203-E3A69D5D1D18.jpeg

The FSM does have part #s in it for the connectors and pins. The problem is that you need a male connector, and there likely isn't a part for that since it's part of the switch itself. The part you already have is 90980-12366 (Housing Connector F). Typically the mating parts are +1 or -1 on the part # (so 90980-12365 or 90980-12367). Both of those parts do show up as "Housing Connector M" when I search the part #s on the Toyota parts websites but there aren't any photos which would confirm or deny whether they mate with THIS part.

When I did my rear bumper and needed to wire up the lights I used Ballenger Motorsports for most of the pins and "generic" parts, and then Toyota for the few Toyota-specific connectors. FWIW I was trying to do the same thing with the rear camera so I wouldn't have to cut and splice it, but I was never able to find a correct matching connector so I eventually gave up. That said if you want to try, start here and take lots of measurements and then look at the spec sheets as they typically show everything down to a fraction of a mm, so maybe you'll get lucky and find the mating part for that 5-pin connector. Note that part 90980-12366 doesn't show on their website, nor do the pins (part 82998-24290), which is too bad because their site will normally show all the mating parts you might need.

FWIW I think this connector is pretty generic for Toyota and is used in a lot of vehicles and different locations. From this forum it sounds like it's also used in some mirrors and they claim the mating part is 90980-12365.

1672328389403.png

Ok so summary of the above, I think this is what you need to build a plug-and-play extension cable. If it works let me know...

(1) 90980-12365 (male housing... I think)
(1) 90980-12366 (female housing)
(5) Sumitomo TS025 male terminals from Home » Shop » Connectors / Harnesses » Sumitomo » Sumitomo TS 025 Male Terminal 0.22 - 0.5mm2 (24 - 20AWG) - https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/4189
(5) Sumitomo TS025 female terminals from Home » Shop » Connectors / Harnesses » Sumitomo » Sumitomo TS 025 Female Terminal 0.22 - 0.5mm2 (24 - 20AWG) - https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/2071

Ok so summary of the above, I think this is what you need to build a plug-and-play extension cable. If it works let me know...

(1) 90980-12365 (male housing... I think)
(1) 90980-12366 (female housing)
(5) Sumitomo TS025 male terminals from Home » Shop » Connectors / Harnesses » Sumitomo » Sumitomo TS 025 Male Terminal 0.22 - 0.5mm2 (24 - 20AWG) - https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/4189
(5) Sumitomo TS025 female terminals from Home » Shop » Connectors / Harnesses » Sumitomo » Sumitomo TS 025 Female Terminal 0.22 - 0.5mm2 (24 - 20AWG) - https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/2071
Wow man, thanks! I was able to get this far in the FSM. "G11" looks like the connector but I was unable to translate that into an actual part number.

1672330665717.png

1672330626338.png

In the spirit of "teaching a man to fish" (though I greatly appreciate you just handing me the fish!) How did you determine 90980-12366 (Housing Connector F) from the FSM? I have made searchable PDFs and don't see any actual part numbers.

Just ordered the stuff. I think its time I also get a crimping tool made for these open barrel pins. I think this would work:

Amazon product ASIN B01M1YK5FM
Or maybe I should seize the tool buy opportunity and get one with changeable dies that would be more universally useful:

Amazon product ASIN B083L8QTCX
anyone have a recommendation on crimping tools?

Just ordered the stuff. I think its time I also get a crimping tool made for these open barrel pins. I think this would work:

Amazon product ASIN B01M1YK5FM
Or maybe I should seize the tool buy opportunity and get one with changeable dies that would be more universally useful:

Amazon product ASIN B083L8QTCX
anyone have a recommendation on crimping tools?
I have the cheapest Iwiss crimper I could find and it worked fine

Wow man, thanks! I was able to get this far in the FSM. "G11" looks like the connector but I was unable to translate that into an actual part number.

View attachment 3204578

View attachment 3204577
In the spirit of "teaching a man to fish" (though I greatly appreciate you just handing me the fish!) How did you determine 90980-12366 (Housing Connector F) from the FSM? I have made searchable PDFs and don't see any actual part numbers.
You have to look in the connectors section of the wiring diagrams. That will show the single connector and the part number. It should also tell you the parts for the pins but my download apparently is missing that part so if you are using my ISO they won’t load correctly (however if you browse the FSM and can find the connector parts XML file you can open it, find the connector part number, and then see the pin parts in text).

You have to look in the connectors section of the wiring diagrams. That will show the single connector and the part number. It should also tell you the parts for the pins but my download apparently is missing that part so if you are using my ISO they won’t load correctly (however if you browse the FSM and can find the connector parts XML file you can open it, find the connector part number, and then see the pin parts in text).
I must not have built the PDFs right. The part numbers are not in my PDFs. All I have is the “G 11” reference in the pic above.

I must not have built the PDFs right. The part numbers are not in my PDFs. All I have is the “G 11” reference in the pic above.
I don’t guarantee the PDF version is perfect, it’s very much hacked together by generating a bunch of webpages and then appending them one after another. Entirely possible it is missing from the PDFs :-(

While I had my dash apart looking at the connectors for the OEM switches, I think I might want move the VSC switch as well. I was able to find the OEM harness connector for it but I can’t find a matting connector for it. I went to Olathe Toyota and they can’t find one either. As the mating OEM part is the switch, it makes sense that there isn’t a matting harness connector. That said, the CDL connector and switch is the same situation, but there is a mating connector for that.

Here’s the VSC connector:

Can any of you part number gurus find the matching connector for?

Are you able to extend the wires? It should be a relatively simple matter to do so.

Are you able to extend the wires? It should be a relatively simple matter to do so.
Yes I can cut and splice the wires to do this. I just wanted a “plug and play” solution.

So while I am still hunting for the mating connector for the VSC switch harness, I realized that I could also just de-pin the OEM connector and reinstall the pins in a new F type 5 pin connector like the one for the CDL (where I can buy both male and female sides) to make a matched connector connection. All this does is eliminate a cut and splice. Cutting and splicing though probably isn't a big issue, I just don't like it. The video below is a good one showing how to de-pin connectors. There are many many types of connectors though and the trick is always understanding how the pins are locked into the connector and what to do to unlock it and sometime, you just have to cut.

At about 13:00 into the video, he demonstrates using small wire crimps to rejoin wires that have been cut. I've never used this kind of crimp connector before but they look way better than wire butt connectors I have used in the past. I do still like the heat shrink/solder butt connectors though.

I need to look up those tiny crimps! I like that. I used some big crimps on my solar setup and I love how strong and compact the connection is.

I started stocking these Posi-taps in my garage too in all different sizes. A little pricey to be using everywhere, but I love them. A little bulkier than crimps. Could also be used for a temporary repair or field repair as they can be undone.

Posi-tap Connectors, 20-22 Gauge Wire, Bulk Pack of 20 https://a.co/d/ioIoA8c

Got the CDL relo done. I can actually see the switch in this location and having the CDL switch by the front and rear locker switch is the way I think it should be.

I’m sure I did this the hard way with making an extension harness but it wasn’t that bad once I got all of the parts and a few tools. My first attempt with using 20 awg wire that I happened to have failed as the wire was just a little too tight for the connectors and pins. Went to 24 awg and all good. OEM wires appear to be 24 awg.

57DA8B65-F695-4BF1-A74F-0A660306661B.jpeg
238144D0-5345-4AEB-AD86-4242C8A8AF65.jpeg

Next I’ll relo the VSC switch. I’ll move it to the next to the CDL. That will put all my traction control locker switches in the same location. I still haven’t found a mating connector for the OEM VSC connector. I’ll probably just change the OEM connector to a different one that I have both sides for and build a matching extension harness for it too.

Last edited:
Relo’d the VSC switch. I ended up just splicing the extension wires with solder heat shrink connectors. I really like having all of the these switches by the locker switch.

79067D00-43F2-4E3D-B6E3-94A27CACF27B.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom