refurbishing door hinges? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My right rear door on the BJ73 is sagging due to the weight of the rear tire over the years. I can look at the top hinge and see that either the hinge pin is worn, or bent a bit. There is about 1/32" of wear or bend. Has anyone ever tried punching out the hinge pin and installing a new one to refurbish old rear door hinges??????
A new one from partsouq.com is about $80 with shipping, I'd rather save the money if I can drive out the old and drive in a new $3 pin from the hardware store. I know I can spend a couple hours of my time to see if it's possible, but I thought I'd ask as maybe someone has done it before.

There was a thread about this a few years ago. Looked like it was more effort than it was worth, but that was the front doors. Maybe these are easier.
The other bad news is you need to do both of them.
When you put on a single new hinge, it takes all the load on its own and wears out super quick while the other old hinge floats around. That was my experience when I did the drivers door hinges.

I think you can use all the other 7* series rear door hinges, but double check.

I purchased a 77 FJ55 with a severely worn lower right front door hinge. I found the old thread(s) on this forum and reviewed a number of times and almost decided it was too much trouble to repair. But, I decided to forge ahead. Much easier then I anticipated. It took about 15-20 minutes to repair once removed. I'm slow, and it was my first attempt. Much easier then I anticipated. You do need a vise, a drill, hammer and punch, and NAPA hinge repair kit 675-5157. The hinge repair kit is 'on the shelf' and in stock online as well. But the old thread is a must in my inexperienced opinion.
Suggestion: Find the old thread. "Repairing FJ55 hinge" ... A couple of owners posted pics, instructions, and everything else I needed as a 'first timer'.

A more complete answer then I provided above is found in the FJ55 forum. Repair FJ55 hinge. Very complete discussions on hinge repairs by some very knowledgeable cruiser owners.

I wonder if anyone has a junk 7x body with right rear door hinges on it here stateside?

I just replaced all four rear door hinges on my LJ78 with brand new ones from Partsouq. My old ones were not too bad yet, and could probably do more years with some hinge adjustment - or could serve as rebuild cores. If you're interested in them you can PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom