Reflectix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well this week I'd finally had enough with the heat in our apartment. We live in the new family dorms at the college we attend. We also live on the fourth floor which is the very top floor. Nice thing is there are only two families on the 4rth floor. All other floors have like 12 apartments on them. What sucks is during the winter we had to always have the windows open and/or turn the AC on because all the heat from the floors below would gather in our apartment. That wasn't to bad in winter. But summer is has really sucked. The other day with the AC on it reached 98 degrees in our apartment and in the hallway it was over 100. And the college isnt doing crap about it. So I had finally had enough. We went to Lowes and bought a roll of Reflectix. I covered all the windows and then stuffed a large towel under the front door. Now its in the upper 70's. 20 bucks and life is a hell of a lot better. I even had some left over.

With the high heat and the exhaust under the floor it has melted the rubber mat to the metal of the floor. Not only that I could feel the heat cooking my feet thru my boots. So I started the Pig and got the floor nice and hot then pealed the rubber matting up and placed the reflectix under the rubber mat. I now can drive my pig barefoot and feel zero heat. Nice :) Not sure on the sound deadening qualities but it sure got rid of a bunch of the heat radiating up at us.

That's pretty cool. I'm gonna start monitering the heat from my floor now. Mini, where do you live?

Im in Boise but will be moving to Cheyenne WY next month.

I think I might go ahead and place the reflectix under the rest of the rubber matting. I mean the stuff isnt that expensive. A 20 dollar roll would cover the whole floor twice.

Is the name of the material "Reflectix" I tried Home Depot and with no luck. We do have lowes here, I will try them.

Relfectix

Lowes in Harrisonburg has it in 2 sizes. Bought mine Friday.

:cheers:

let us know how it works out for you... I know Reflectix is used by Cruisers and Rovers as a way to reduce noise levels inside the cabin of the truck. Folks swear by the sound reducing qualities... for me that would just be an added plus. All I can say is I am now able to drive around barefooted and not worry about cooking my feet. I mean it got hot enough to melt the rubber matting to the metal floors.

I slapped in some similar (or same?) stuff I got from an auto parts store here (Tognotti's). Seems to do a pretty nice job of both heat and sound reduction. I just cut it out in sections and put it under the ribber mat. My wife stopped complaining of the noise on road trips, so it must work. Now I don't have to work so hard trying to talk her into taking it on road trips! :bounce:

Nial

i'll check the h.d. in denver...it'll be a long time before my piggie's running again, but it'd be nice to have it in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom