Red Toyota Vinyl Material (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Archie 1962 FJ25

Autocrat
Threads
Early Toyota vehicles were supplied to NZ in CKD form and were partly assembled locally to generate local employment etc. I recently had an opportunity to meet an old school upholstery shop and found a sample of red vinyl that was supplied by Toyota to finish seats of CKD vehicles.

Material looks to be very old school and is indeed very thick (Almost leather like feel) and doesn’t have a modern mesh backing etc. Wondering if someone can confirm if this is the same material that was used on FJ25? Colour appears to bey very accurate “Red”.

C40F5365-2883-4E73-A041-4E8C337AB647.jpeg
2609D243-D796-4955-9A1B-C665DA3F189B.jpeg
F0AD764D-7B54-448C-B3A4-A465ECA95FB9.jpeg

BD5C4161-A17A-4AD6-9D4C-775D2F3FABBF.jpeg

C0694F3B-04DD-4FDE-A6B2-5071D250331C.jpeg

Archie,

Some of the countries doing the CKD assemblies insisted to Toyota that not only was assembly labor to be domestic, but that some items were to be from domestic suppliers. I don't know what was said to New Zealand at that time or if the philosophy changed over those early years.

Here in the States, an American paint supplier provided the paint formulations to the dealerships using American paint materials--not for any CKD but for repairs, touch-ups. I suspect that the actual paint shades were very close to the Japanese factory colors. The Venezuela and Brazilian Toyota plants had much more freedom in using domestic supplies, and so their colors may be slightly different.

Fabric colors can be different from even the same manufacturer according to the variation in dye lots. It will be interesting to see if there are any noticeable variations with your samples and those found by others.

Archie,

Some of the countries doing the CKD assemblies insisted to Toyota that not only was assembly labor to be domestic, but that some items were to be from domestic suppliers. I don't know what was said to New Zealand at that time or if the philosophy changed over those early years.

Here in the States, an American paint supplier provided the paint formulations to the dealerships using American paint materials--not for any CKD but for repairs, touch-ups. I suspect that the actual paint shades were very close to the Japanese factory colors. The Venezuela and Brazilian Toyota plants had much more freedom in using domestic supplies, and so their colors may be slightly different.

Fabric colors can be different from even the same manufacturer according to the variation in dye lots. It will be interesting to see if there are any noticeable variations with your samples and those found by others.

Yeah interesting things took place in relations to imports in different countries / markets back in 50’s 60’s. Back then I doubt there was any local vinyl manufacturer In New Zealand to cater auto industry. (There could be leather suppliers).

Last edited:
This is the back side, note some lettering, don’t know if this is a clue for buying Naugahyde?

View attachment 2407631

Thanks John, that clears up the mystery. Do you recon that original material is also very thick? Backing seems to be matching with my sample just in white colour, upholsterer cut a small piece so I will try to check the roll if there are any numbers or marking there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom