Recommendations for wilderness camping in New England? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I'm looking to take my 97 fzj 80 on some off the beaten path terrain and test out some survival skills. I'm in Western MA and would want to drive probably no more than 3.5 hrs. Any recommendations for places up in Vermont or New Hampshire?

This would just be 2 or 3 nights camping. Wheeling opportunities are a plus but getting out in the woods is the main goal.

Thanks in advance for any replies! :cheers:

-- Ben

Should be some good stuff easily accessed from Franklin County in southern VT. Check out the VT State Park's website for more info, but even 2 - 2.5 hrs. should get you pretty deep into the Green Mountain Nat'l Forest.

not much dirt roads or back woods driving per say, but good scenic drive to Groton State Park, their remote camping sites at Kettle Pond are awesome. i have some friends that hike into some cabin near a waterfall in the Ripton VT area.... never been but they say it is awesome, I will try to get some more info....

Vermont State Parks - Kettle Pond State Park

Last edited:
i wish I had more options, we always just go to our deer camp in way NE VT.... but if you are ever interested, it is a good time, and a bunch of logging roads to drive around and explore.... like miles and miles.... it is in Norton VT.

i wish I had more options, we always just go to our deer camp in way NE VT.... but if you are ever interested, it is a good time, and a bunch of logging roads to drive around and explore.... like miles and miles.... it is in Norton VT.
@VTrocker I'm interested

Goodness, head up to the ADK's plenty of seasonally maintained roads and you can camp anywhere in the Park as long as you're a 150 feet off a waterway or road.

I just did about 30 miles on a paved road in the North Country where there was no cell service and thought to myself I'm going to hit this one in the winter, but I'll come prepared.

I'm thinking of going up the national forest in VT this weekend to see what I can find. I figure with a Gaia map I should be able to find something worthwhile.

IMO you gan out into the woods in NH and VT but for wilderness in New England you need to get north of the 45th parallel. Start in Pittsburg NH and keep going north east until to hit New Brunswick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom