Recent windshield replacement: screws used vs rivets, am I doomed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.joyofthedrive.com
Hi all,

I've looked over the threads and consensus seems to be that rivets are the vastly preferred method of attaching the trim vs screws. I just had mine done by Safelite (appeared to be original to the truck) thanks to a bad crack that formed over the weekend. I had it brought to a local, trustworthy dealership to have them keep an eye on things since they don't do their own glass installs Come to find out he's using screws, not rivets, on the new OEM glass. He explains it to me saying they don't like to use rivets because they risk breaking the glass that way etc. etc.

On the drive home there's more noise than usual, so I have him come check it out and he'd forgotten the lowest exterior screw on the pass. side A pillar (that's how I find out he's using screws).

Other than that he seemed to do a solid job, all the trim looks well lined up, no glaring issues thus far. Do I insist they re-do it with rivets? Am I doomed to a life of rusty A-pillars from here on out? Any advice is appreciated.

I've replaced two windshields since I bought my LC. Both times they used screws. Both times I used Safelite and they did a great job.

First windshield- Lets just say that twisting the mirror bracket to remove it results in destroying a perfectly good windshield (they come with the bracket).

2nd windshield - rocks suck

I've replaced two windshields since I bought my LC. Both times they used screws. Both times I used Safelite and they did a great job.

First windshield- Lets just say that twisting the mirror bracket to remove it results in destroying a perfectly good windshield (they come with the bracket).

2nd windshield - rocks suck

That's reassuring. How long did those last? No rust developed or anything?

My goal is to keep this truck as long as possible and the thought of rust slowly killing my A pillars from the inside is making me question the screws, hence the post.

Other than the windshield damage there was nothing wrong when they opened it up to replace the windshield. Safelite did a nice job cleaning it up, priming and painting if cleaning exposed metal.

Other than the windshield damage there was nothing wrong when they opened it up to replace the windshield. Safelite did a nice job cleaning it up, priming and painting if cleaning exposed metal.
no new wind noise?

The issue with using screws isn't that they won't hold the windshield in place, but rather that they will damage your pillars by increasing the size of the holes. Most rivet guns don't fit nicely, beside the windshield, and the shock from the rivet setting can crack the windshield, so I understand Safelites concerns. Nonetheless, if you have a rivet gun that will fit well, rivets are the correct way to install the windshield. Some folks put cardboard or foam between the rivet gun and the glass to prevent cracking of the glass. You are not doomed, but I'd recommend buying the correct toyota rivets and shopping for a rivet gun. Then you can do them by yourself.

Not only do the screws widen the holes, but the metal the expose when they cut in is the start of many’s rust issues. Use rivets.

That dealership shouldn’t be touching 100 series windshields if they recommend screws...

I bought a river gun from o’reillys that works perfect with an extension. So I remove the trim myself, have them install the glass, then reinstall the trim with OEM rivets myself. Never has a single leak or wind noise.

Yes, I'd say you need to worry about rust. It seems like rust is a concern when everything is done RIGHT. When it's done wrong.....

I turned Safelite back to their shop when the installer showed up with sheet metal screws.

Turns out that the installer who Toyota and Lexus use, not to mention MBZ, Rover, Porsche, etc. here lives a mile or 2 away. I contacted him and he showed up with the correct nylon-coated Toyota rivets and a rivet gun with a small nose. The installation was done correctly, and it was not his first dance with a 100 series. He also took care of the windshield on our 200 series cruiser.

Not only do the screws widen the holes, but the metal the expose when they cut in is the start of many’s rust issues. Use rivets.

That dealership shouldn’t be touching 100 series windshields if they recommend screws...

I bought a river gun from o’reillys that works perfect with an extension. So I remove the trim myself, have them install the glass, then reinstall the trim with OEM rivets myself. Never has a single leak or wind noise.

My exact concern, thank you! To reiterate, the dealership does not do their own glass, this was Safelite that did the work at the dealership.

Update: Safelite sent another tech out earlier today and confirmed that it was done poorly the first time, and apologized. The screws used were too big (he admitted it should have been rivets in the first place), now the OEM rivets are useless and he doesn't have any rivets that fit. Confirmed that 1st job was shoddy, as we found ANOTHER of the 4 holes open.

Here's the kicker, as the second tech was buttoning things up, I asked if he had fill the newly discovered 2nd open hole and he hadn't! If I hadn't been there he would have thrown that trim there on there and called it a day. The lack of attention to detail is amazing.

Called USAA and they said take it wherever you want to get the work done right, we'll cover it.

Safelite, you have been very disappointing!

Thats why I do the rivets/trim myself. Really not hard or complicated at all. And you can source larger coated rivets.

Thats why I do the rivets/trim myself. Really not hard or complicated at all. And you can source larger coated rivets.

At this point I don't want to run the risk of somehow screwing it up myself (unlikely), and now it's also the principle of it. The body shop I've used before is going to take everything out, make sure there's no new bare metal and if there is, paint appropriately, and source appropriately sized rivets and put it all back together appropriately.

Not only that, but I already have too large of a collection of tools for our tiny city apt so a shiny new rivet gun might not go over well with my wife :)

I'm trying to work up the courage to rivet mine. Just need to figure out what size coated rivets I need.
You need the factory ones from Toyota.

You need the factory ones from Toyota.
Ordered them up and a long nose rivet gun. 👍🏻
1601402016236.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom