Rear Coil Spring Poly Spacers - Use OEM Rubber Isolator or Not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a question about installation of the 30mm poly spacers on the 80 series Land Cruiser. Am I supposed to also reuse and install the OEM rubber isolators which normally sit on top of the steel coil spring on top of the poly spacer, or just delete the OEM rubber isolators? Thanks.

The poly spacers I'm using are the Ironman4X4 LCR30 if that makes a difference.

I am also interested to hear what people say. I just did this exact job and I kept the OEM rubber isolator and placed it between the top of spring and the bottom of the spacer. Not sure if that was correct or if it even matters. So far happy with the results and no issues and no noise.

TTT

Not thinking about it, and maybe not realizing there was a piece of rubber stuck to the underside of the spring pocket, I put the spacer between the rubber ring and the spring.
No issues to speak of as a result.
Not sure it matters really...unless you're getting clunks at opposite side of a full stuff where the spacer may be leaving the surface of the pocket then slamming back up in?

The rubber will likely protect the poly spacer a little and could prevent it from crumbling as quickly. A stiffer plastic protector of some sort would probably help with this even more but it's not something I've experimented with, I've just seen poly spacers crumble over time.

I took a set of poly spacers off of my 80 and both were starting to crumble where the end of the coil was pressing into the poly.

Not to hijack, but do the 30mm spacers work fine with factory length brake lines and shocks? Planning to get some before my next off-road excursion. Would do a proper lift but I'm a full time college student...you know..money😂😂

So far so good with factory lines with my stock height Dobinsons, OEM shocks, and 30mm spacers. Since lines are 26 years old I plan to replace them soon and add a few inches when I do.

Not to hijack, but do the 30mm spacers work fine with factory length brake lines and shocks? Planning to get some before my next off-road excursion. Would do a proper lift but I'm a full time college student...you know..money😂😂
I have extended brake lines so I can't speak to using 30mm spacers with OEM shocks. But you can pretty easily do a full droop test with a jack, some 4x4 pieces of wood and some patience. Just be careful. If your rig falls on you it's a possible fatality. If it were me, I would just jack up one corner at a time and observe from outside the fall space below the vehicle. You can use a broom stick or something like that to try and push on the brake line gently to see if you think you have space for 30mm more of lift before you install the spacers.
In thinking about it, thought, I bet that 30mm spacers with stock soft brake lines is fine. People who do 2" lifts generally do not extend their brake lines. 2 inches is 50mm.

@BakerFJ I've had no issues with 30mm spacers on top of original/stock springs on my '97. Brake lines are stock, shocks are OE Tokicos that were replaced a few years ago and all suspension bushings/etc. were replaced at the same time. The shocks are going to limit axle travel, along with the sway bars in some situations, and your brake lines/abs harnesses/axle breathers should be fine at stock lengths if all but the spacers are OE.

This 30mm spacer setup has worked well on my 80 which sees a lot of unloaded use. The stock springs/shocks are a nice balance in terms of offering a smooth ride and a little load handling in my opinion. The stock spring rate is a little soft when the 80 is loaded up and the shocks similarly have trouble keeping up with extra weight in my opinion, though they are tolerable loaded. I added air bags to the rear of my 80 to help on the rare occasions that it's loaded, which helps a lot and was inexpensive. If I were often running the 80 with a lot of weight I'd go with heavier spring rates and matched shocks all around.

With the stock springs and 30mm spacers my hub center to bottom of flare measurements are close to 21" all around. With no air pressure out back they drop into the mid 20"s but the air bags recommend minimum 5psi which typically puts the rear a little over 21" depending on what's on board. The 80 has a bit of recovery gear stashed in the rear and BIOR step sliders but is pretty much stock otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom