rear camera (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hiya
Did anyone placed the rear backup camera otherwhere? Its placed in the spare tire cover and I would know if it's easily possible to place it somewhere else.
Greets from Luxembourg

No, I have not. I actually like the location and it does a good job of covering immediately behind the truck, which is where I can't see using spot mirrors on the outside mirrors and turning around looking over both shoulders.
The camera is not in the cover. I took off the cover and found the camera is mounted in the housing that the spare wheel is bolted to.
I do not use the tire cover, only the disc that covers the alloy wheel.

Is this a Gentex RCD? If so how do you like it?

I do not know who makes the factory monitor or camera.
My 2011 FJ Cruiser came with a factory installed backup camera as part of the optional CQ(convenience package). Toyota calls it an 'integrated backup monitor'. When the vehicle is placed in 'reverse' about a third of the inside rear view mirror on the driver's side automatically becomes a display. It is normally quite clear. Of course, when there is a lot of crud/snow thrown up on it, the image degrades.
The display has become addictive. I automatically look into it when I put the FJ in reverse. Of course, I also look over both shoulders and use the outside side and spot mirrors.
It is also nice for guiding the hitch ball into the trailer as the bottom of the image looks right down at the rear bumper.

edit: I just looked up the Gentex RCD on the Quadratec website. From the pic there, the Toyota monitor in the factory option auto dim mirror 'appears' to create a slightly larger image than the Gentex image. However, it gives you an idea as to how the factory unit looks. Also the Toyota rear camera appears to pick up the rear bumper and what is immediately behind the vehicle as well as what is to the sides and farther away. The Gentex image appears to come from a camera that is aimed farther out and misses the bumper and what is immediately(like a hitch ball) behind it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom