Rear Axle Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Afternoon, looking for some help with an issue on the rear axle of my 1997 80series.

I’ve had a noise develop at speed that I originally thought might be a caliper sticking. The issue had been intermittent but has recently gotten worse. After raising the rear of the vehicle, I have a lot of resistance when trying to turn the wheels by hand. More resistance than in the past and it’s worse on the drivers side. Pulled calipers. Neither are seized. Found oil all over the drivers side hub, so I thought dang my seal has leaked and washed the bearings and they are seizing? Removed the axle on the drivers side and went to spin the hub expecting resistance from a bad bearing and the hub spins freely and normally!!! What I was hoping would be a simple axle rebuild may not be so simple.

Anyone care to guess at my issue? This one is beyond my past experiences. While I know that I need to rebuild this rear axle, I’m not sure what’s causing the resistance and sound coming from the rear?

Thanks in advance for any help or direction.

And no lockers on this truck, if that helps. Thanks

Well this is a prime example of not digging deep enough before posting. While my calipers were not stuck, when dissasembling the pass side caliper I found the inner brake pad was rusted and nearly seized in place. This was my issue. If you’ve read this whole post, my apologies, but thanks for letting me talk it through

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom