REAL TIME HELP: Rear pinion seal leak (Sorta Stranded) DFW Area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the title says, my rear pinion seal is done for, oil absolutely everywhere. The kicker, I traveled to the DFW area for some job related ventures and have no tools to fix. I'm 300mi away from home.
Any recommended cruiser shops or repair shops in general that could potentially help me out tomorrow? Suggestions are welcomed. Thanks all!

Last edited:
good luck man, it sucks having troubles with no tools. I,d try to find the seal, look at all the Napas close to you (napaonline.com) pick it up first thing, then find a driveline shop. Buy some wrenches so you can pull your own drive shaft and maybe even a busy shop would swap it real quick. Or buy all the tools and do it in the Napa parking lot.

Like the title says, my rear pinion seal is done for, oil absolutely everywhere. The kicker, I traveled to the DFW area for some job related ventures and have no tools to fix. I'm 300mi away from home.
Any recommended cruiser shops or repair shops in general that could potentially help me out tomorrow? Suggestions are welcomed. Thanks all!
What part of DFW? There are a number of good LC shops around here, but the main issue would be squeezing you in with such short notice. Depending on the area there are quite a few good recommendations in this thread here:

What part of DFW? There are a number of good LC shops around here, but the main issue would be squeezing you in with such short notice. Depending on the area there are quite a few good recommendations in this thread here:

I’m in Arlington at the moment. More on the Fort Worth side of the area. I’ll call some shops in the morning see what they can do.

Hrmm... Are we talking about her leaking like a sieve or a significant drip?

If the latter, I'd potentially risk filling up the 3rd member and taking the drive home. If it's dripping, there's still oil in it.

Hrmm... Are we talking about her leaking like a sieve or a significant drip?

If the latter, I'd potentially risk filling up the 3rd member and taking the drive home. If it's dripping, there's still oil in it.
It’s bad enough that my spare (sits on the swing out) is covered in gear oil. The entire frame past the rear axle is also covered in gear oil. As it sits right now, there’s a visible spot of oil on the ground where I parked.

Well, Family Toyota in Arlington was willing to get the seal replaced today. Tried sourcing a Toyota part, but it would be a few days out. A national seal will suffice for now.
Family Toyota of Arlington are good people--that's who I bought my LC from earlier this month and the GM and a few of the sales guys have some pretty kitted out 4Runners. One of their service techs comes up all the time on the local FB group for people needing work done

Family Toyota of Arlington are good people--that's who I bought my LC from earlier this month and the GM and a few of the sales guys have some pretty kitted out 4Runners. One of their service techs comes up all the time on the local FB group for people needing work done
In the past hour I’ve seen 3 200s come through the service department. Makes me feel much more comfortable about them working on mine.

Glad to hear you found a good shop.

Interesting the pinion seal failed to that degree.

How many miles on the truck?

Wow that does seem early, much used in mud or off road?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom