Re-installing Battery - Sparks, Smoke Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yesterday I disconnected the alarm system and the annoying horn stopped blaring. I would like to have it removed but I'm unsure how the alarm works with the ignition system. I'm sure the dealer knows how to handle this. I'm scheduled to have it towed to Toyota on Friday and I can't wait to have it back on the road.

Aftrmrkt alarms usually disable the starter when they are tripped by interrupting the starter circuit. They usually tap into it by the column under the dash. The wire is typically black with a yellow tracer, but the LC might be different, I can’t remember. Would the engine crank? Because of all the blown fuses I still think you have a hard short somewhere.

Without the GREEN wire connected, the LC cranks but there is no spark out of the coil. There's current going to the coil from the battery but nothing coming out. I checked the coil with my meter per FSM and it checked out ok. After some research I found out that the GREEN wire goes directly to the computer and is needed to start the LC. My main issue is whenever the GREEN wire is connected to the POS terminal, the NEG terminal sparks, smokes, and the GREEN wire fries.

It was the alternator. I had both the starter and alternator checked before reinstalling them but something must of jolted loose or broke apart during the install to cause the short.

Very cool! So it starts and runs then?

Its still at the dealership. They had the alternator but had to order a new fusable link. I'm rollin a Prius in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom