Ram-Dom (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody messing around with this dish?
It is old peasant food from Korea? and made popular by the movie "Parasite"
I just read an article, and fawkers in NYC are charging 15 to 25 bucks for a bowl. WTF
It looks good, but was wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Not familiar with Ram-Dom.

raman and udon noodles mixed and have beef strips.
black bean paste and maybe oyster sauce
People picked up and the dish while watching the movie, and it has taken off.
I have not seen the movie, and only saw this dish on the interweb.
I will try to find a link somewheres

If I were going to make it I’d probably make bulgogi, then the noodles separately probably with some seaweed using chicken broth just To create a good contrast between the noodles and the beef. When I was in Korea many years ago it would be unusual to combine the beef with the noodles,in a formal setting that’s more of an American thing. Each dish has its own flavor and can stand on its own. If you were having a formal dinner there would be many small dishes, each very different and you would take small portions of each. Think rijsttafel. Almost like the French Laundry’s take on French cooking. One or 2 bites and your palate doesn’t get bored. If you were in a local restaurant and ordered something like bulgogi it would come over a bed of grey rice noodles. Flavors are bold, heavy on garlic and peppers often fermented as the dishes were created before refrigeration. My favorite other than Yakimandu was cuttlefish in various forms.

Interesting, I remember stores had little packets of snacks,ramen noodles, various dried fishes , octopus, cuttlefish, candies, dried fruit, etc, etc. most things were dried not canned And very inexpensive. To put everything in perspective for price I paid 480 yuan for 24 yakimondu at an outdoor restaurant/cafe. Official exchange rate at the time was 560 yuan per dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom