Rail grade trails in KS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey fellas,

yes the old railroad right of ways are used by vehicle traffic..mostly four wheelers and kids ....the offcial name is rails to trails....many miles of em here in osage county as well as anderson franklin and morris counties...i dont think the rails to trails group has any money so the development of the right of ways for horse trails has been non existant...lyon county also has em....no i have not officially joined tac yet but i still have the app that mike gave me.... need to fill out and send in....let me know if you need any other info

osagecruiser :cool:

Poriomania said:
Also mentioned are "the old section roads." Are these like the public "roads" in CO that are now just trails?

Section roads were roads that ran along Section boundaries. Sections were originally created after the Louisana Purchase in order for the government to make the lands available to the public. A section is 1 mi x 1 mi and contains 640 acres. The N/S section roads were a mile apart and I think the E/W ones were 2mi apart. A lot of the major streets in KC came from these section roads. Some of these roads were taken over by the towns or counties that were formed later. Others were probably abandoned and may have reverted to private ownership.

Bob

bob is right....about section roads..out here most if not all of them are still public access.some are really sweet with signs that say minimum maint..travel at own risk...they should say no maint and you better be in a cruiser or you will be hopelessly stuck. :cool:

Cool, glad you know about these Osagecruiser. What's the nature of these trails? Narrow and bushy, scenic value, historic interest etc.? If we did a ride could we start, say out west/southwest and spend a day working back east sticking to these trails? Which might be the best to ride, maybe cut through some Kansas ghost towns?

Ahhh.. The history of a section.. Also you could get a full section + if you were far enough away from the railroad. they sections during the land grant era were smaller if you were (I belive) within 2 miles of the railroad.. The govt gave the land closest to the railway to the railroad to bribe them into putting down the rails and making money by selling the land adjacent to it..
EC.. (who still has a section of land in NE Ks in the family and the HOmestead act deed signed by the pres at the time on the wall in the living room)

Welcome Osage Cruiser..

Gary.. I know what your thinking! And I agree, would be a great way to get out in a non-hardcore capacity..

you could have a really sweet non hardcore trailride thru this area...if routed right..it might take a little scouting but i believe you could make a very nice weekend of it we have 300 acres that would be perfect for a saturday night camp out/cookout..it would be a very family friendly event. i would be thrilled to be involved in any capacity needed and my land is always open for cruiser gatherings...let me know

osagecruiser :D

the more i think about it the cooler the idea becomes....for fall or maybe spring...as of next week osage city will be the cruiser capital of osage county as my son and i are set to aquire a 72 fj55. our 40 will not be trail ready until late september..the heat is slowing progress 100 degrees in the shop is a killer. i have some section maps and plenty of access to land other than mine..there is some federal land also that could be incorporated in to the run. we probably have to have a trail ride to plan the trail ride ...right?!

osagecruiser :D

hey mike,

two sounds good!..osage city is actually a perfect location for a trail ride...centally located between wichita and kansas city and close enough for ed in harrisonville to make it. we have a couple areas on our farm that would be fun for some climbing/crawling in combo with water.... you guys let me know i can get some photos of the areas and post em up. did you get a metaltech cage?...just wondering if you liked it

marc

This sounds like an awesome club event. Gary, way to get the ball rolling. Osagecruiser thanks for the offer and welcome.

Thinking out loud.. But this would be a perfect area for a poker run with some gps stuff added in, Light wheeling, family type stuff..
I'll probably be grabbing a spare GPS unit here shortly to loan out for stuff like this.. Many people in the club have them already..
We could pre-run on a thursday or friday, set it up for a saturday event and it sounds like light 4 high stuff.
By poker run I mean putting playing card in an envelope at a gps location. The teams that finish first get a small prize, team with the best hand win a prize, etc! Thoughts?
I'd be more than willing to go scout it out this fall if Osage is willing to have us!

This sounds like a great event! Thanks to Marc for offering to set up a run like this. I'd be interested in a pre-run as well, and anything else to help pull this together.

Poriomania said:
This sounds like a great event! Thanks to Marc for offering to set up a run like this. I'd be interested in a pre-run as well, and anything else to help pull this together.
DITTO!

Anything I don't have to drive 3 hours to is AWESOME!!!!!

someone let me know when you want to come up or down or over to have a look..might be good to do this in advance of planning...get some ideas on the area and time frame for travel...let me know

this is gonna be fun!

marc :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom