Radiator replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2001 3.4L extra cab manual 4x4

Toyota does not make replacements. Went with OSC 1985 from Rockauto, 20 3/4” core. Fit was likely perfect. Had to swap mounting brackets from original radiator due to ARB bull bar brackets interfering. Side by side view showed OSC brackets were slightly different but would likely fit fine with stock bumper.
This was the only radiator that did not have a cooler at the bottom. Being manual, I did not want the unused hardware at the bottom, however I read you could choose to keep the hardware caped with no issues

Removed skid plate, 4 fan shroud bolts, disconnected top and bottom hoses and removed 4 radiator mount bolts. Did not have to remove grill or anything else to do this. Almost exactly two gallons drained from radiator and bottom hose. Purchased 1 Toyota Long Life RED gallon and mixed with gallon of distilled, filled radiator and reservoir.

Leak gone, so far no issues. Ran truck to temp with cap off radiator and ran the heat during, gauge is normal. No air bubble/burping issues

lots of replacement options due to so many engine/tranny/trim combinations, HTH someone else searching for a replacement

Smart move, you avoided the dreaded milkshake mix of tranny fluid and antifreeze.

I did mine a few years ago, then last year I backed over a fiberglass plow stake and the stake punched a hole in the radiator. So now I have another new one. 🙄

Good info. Thanks @CruiserFan88 .

Anybody know if the rad for the 3.4L with auto is the same size as the rad for the 3.4L with man trans? I know the rads for the 2RZ and 3RZ equipped Tacomas are a bit shorter. But I'm wondering how close the AT v. MT rads are... My 2003 3.4L DC was swapped to a manual trans a couple years ago and I've been planning to swap the AT rad out and put in a manual one--like you, no need for that extra hardware in the bottom of the rad cause its an extra possible point of failure (aka the "strawberry milkshake", though no trans fluid to mix in my case now thats its a manual). But I also have a supercharger on mine so I am thinking perhaps the MT rad may net a bit more cooling volume over AT rad cause there will be no AT fluid section in the bottom of it.

I don't /need/ to swap it just yet, but I will likely just do it in the next few months in hopes to help keep temps down in hot Southern Utah weather.

When I replaced mine, I put in an auto rad so i could use the auto trans cooler section as a heat exchanger for a camp shower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom