Radiator cap question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

re_guderian

SILVER Star
Threads
Does the OEM cap have a spring assembly in it? Pretty sure mine failed, based on coolant splatter everywhere in the engine bay, crusties around the overflow tank, and loss of 2 quarts of coolant. New, non OEM, AutoZone special is more old-school, with a definite spring assembly. The one I took off appears to have no vertical give at all.
20220618_145800.jpg

So my options are

1. Leave it as is, with part of the old cap rattling around the upper tank.

2. Take out the old, original radiator and shake out the remnants of the cap, if they're still there and not in the bowels of my coolant passages, and reinstall.

3. Or, at 177k, just get a new radiator and hoses cuz it's probably near time anyway.

What would you do?

Last edited:
Does the OEM cap have a spring assembly in it? Pretty sure mine failed, based on coolant splatter everywhere in the engine bay, crusties around the overflow tank, and loss of 2 quarts of coolant. New, non OEM, AutoZone special is more old-school, with a definite spring assembly. The one I took off appears to have no vertical give at all. View attachment 3037569
There has to be a spring in radiator caps. They are the "pressure relief valves" of the cooling system. The whole idea is if your vehicles gets too hot steam will blow form the radiator cap and not explode your radiator or hoses. The pressure of the radiator cap needs to be the lowest pressure of anything that will "burst" in the cooling system, before hoses, gaskets, radiators, heater cores, etc.

And yes, I would remove the radiator and try to account for ALL the missing pieces so nothing gets clogged or stuck open in the system.
I know it'll be a headache, be better than what can happen down the road.
Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom