Quick electrical question 220 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a home inspection tomorrow and I have this line that used to go to electric stove. There is a gas stove now so question is what to do with the line. Should it terminate in a box with wire nuts? Circuit has been kept off.

E7F91E9A-FE46-4127-A3D9-7B4A45ADDF9B.jpeg

I dont know the law in Ohio,
But if it was my house, I'd remove the wires from the fuse panel, and either pull the wire out of the panel, or tape the ends,
and on the far end just coil the wire and tape it.
If you have the time, I'd cut the whole thing out.
It looks like a fire waiting to happen to me if it were to be put in service.
Bobmo

good call, definitely looks sketchy. Don't know the code and it varies by location but I would think that tucking the thing out of sight with bare conductors snipped and plenty of tape would not be bad and probably go unnoticed if you do it right, and yes, a dead end box would likely be even better. In a pinch I'd call or go see a pro electrical supplies store and ask, very likely somebody there worked as a licensed electrician. Or call a friendly electrician directly. And if it was an electric stove it was likely on its own breaker. If so, I'd remove that too. Altogether, I'd feel pretty safe. But that's all just my uninformed guesses.

I should add that my comment above was strictly about the one wire you asked about, but looking at that pic with all the other wires hanging loose, if I were an inspector, that would probably raise some red flags and cause me to look at things very carefully. It just looks very sloppy all around, sorry, and may perhaps be more an issue than the one stove wire if terminated properly. If it were me, I'd spend some time cleaning that up before the inspection, tucking up all wires, fastening them in place etc.

If it were me....I'd disconnect that wire from the breaker back at the breaker box and remove it entirely if it is not needed for something else. Conversely, IF you have a need for something 120v. in that area you could still use that wire. It is simply 2 legs of 110/120vac and a ground.

But do SOMETHING with it....because an inspector is going to have something to say about it as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom