Questions on putting my LV into 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,
First time posting to this thread.

I currently own a 1966 FJ45LV. Bought it when i was 16, 4 years ago. I am not a mechanic by any means. Im doing my best to learn my way about it all and work on as much stuff as i can. Which brings me to my question.

How to put my LV into 4 wheel drive?
Is it as simple at turning my hubcaps? or do i have to mess with my transfer case lever inside.

This car is a mystery. Doesn't have any maintenance records. It currently has a Chevy 305 V8 engine with a TH350 three speed automatic transmission. My friend has a lift we can put it on to test out the 4x4. I just don't want to touch or do the wrong thing. So asking on this thread first.
If you need any pictures of anything i can provide them, just ask!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a pic of the dash by your right knee when you in the driver seat. Is there a knob with the letters FD on it? That means front drive high range if it like an early 40 series

More pics of your LV!
Just spin your hubs from free to lock.

IMG_8931.JPG
IMG_7267.JPG

Just ordered the 16' grey wheels also. Need to get rid of these 4 runner wheels. Also the tires are 21 years old :oops: .
Ready for new ones!

If it has the transfer case lever near the gear lever forward is high range 2wd straight back is high range 4wd and to the passenger side ( lhd) is low range 4wd.
The free wheeling hubs are there to lock the axels in. If you drive the truck on a hard surface you risk winding up the transfer case making it very hard to get the lever back into high range 2wd. If this happens you need to drive the truck backwards unwinding the transfer while pushing the lever back into 2wd.

If it has the transfer case lever near the gear lever forward is high range 2wd straight back is high range 4wd and to the passenger side ( lhd) is low range 4wd.
The free wheeling hubs are there to lock the axels in. If you drive the truck on a hard surface you risk winding up the transfer case making it very hard to get the lever back into high range 2wd. If this happens you need to drive the truck backwards unwinding the transfer while pushing the lever back into 2wd.
Great. Thank you

Happy New Year

The reason people add free wheeling hubs is to stop the wheels turning the diff and tail shaft when your driving around in high range 2wd. It Saves fuel Not having to turn everything. It’s also a good idea to lock the hubs in every few months doesn’t have to be anymore then a few mile just to keep everything moving instead of sitting never being used.
Try and find a handbook for any early cruiser so you can read the operation of the truck there all running the same engine gearbox/transfer diffs ect.

Last edited:
love it, please more pics. Does it have a white roof and is it 416 Dune Beige. Please post pics of the new wheels. Sure it will look great.

love the color. I think that's the color mine will be too. What color are your seats?

Pics of the seats please.

Rear shoulder harness seat belts too! Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom