Quadrajet Throttle Linkage Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah none of it makes sense really. That other hole wouldn't have much leverage. There's so many versions of arms out there and I've not seen one like yours. Any evidence of a piece of the arm being removed?

Yeah none of it makes sense really. That other hole wouldn't have much leverage. There's so many versions of arms out there and I've not seen one like yours. Any evidence of a piece of the arm being removed?

Well, at least I feel slightly less nuts...I have never seen this linkage either. I'm guessing it has to be modified but I don't see any evidence of something being cut away or anything...very odd...

Here's another picture: Looks like my problem is that it should be a solid, rod-style linkage, as opposed to cable driven, although the previous link I posted looks cable driven. If it was mechanical, rod-driven linkage, the return spring could be back somewhere on the rod, by the firewall...Hmmm...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/Wildcat65/wildcatengine.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder if there is a return spring inside of that kick down cable. Possibly a Buick or Pontiac mutation? That carb is missing the pin hole next to the rear mounting stud that would keep the other bracket type from rotating. Curious plug in the side of the body too.

Edit: I guess the second pic answers that . Buick .... Good luck digging up that stuff.

Ok, mystery solved, I think.

It looks like this style throttle arm was either mated to a mechanical linkage, with a return spring by the firewall. In every cable driven application I have seen, the return springs are run forward to a bracket on the manifold. It was also unique to Buick.

Looks like this carb caught the tail end of the 1965-1967 style automatic transmission setup. Mid-late 1967 they went to something more similar to what you guys are running.

Sounds like I'm gonna be running my springs forward, in true "Clustertruck" style. :hillbilly:

Thank you to you guys for you assistance. I've learned more about quadrajets in the last couple days than I ever wanted to know.

Wouldn't be too hard to get a donor carb and swap the base plate or just the shaft. Unless there is Buick weirdness there too. Good time to add some shaft bushings too. They always need them.

Not sure about any additional "Buick weirdness." It's mounted to a Chevy Engine/Intake, so it can't be that different.

Is there anything particularly wrong with this setup, aside from being ugly as sin?

I'm considering taking an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach and just grabbing some fresh springs, re-bushing the shafts, epoxing the well plugs, rebuilding, and calling it good enough.

That is, of course, unless this seems incredibly dangerous or like a bad idea to anyone. By the looks of it, this setup has been doing its job for decades...:meh:

Nothing wrong with the way it is other than not so tidy. I've seen spring anchors for the front that mount under a manifold bolt.Cleaner than welded to the alt bracket.

SUM-G1339_ml.jpg

Not a bad idea. Manifold bolts are puking oil right now, so they may need to come out eventually anyway.

I am the original owner of a 74 FJ40. I did my first SBC swap for it in 1979. Then I used a Barnett universal motorcycle clutch cable and cut it to fit. the barrel end fit exactly in the groove in the 40s gas pedal.
I made a bracket with a clamp on it and bolted it to the intake manifold using a bolt that was 1/4" longer than original to make sure the manifold stayed seated. I made a bushing for the carb and clamped the cable to that.
The forst cable lasted 15 years before breaking. A new inner cable slid right into the existing housing. After clamping it and checking for the free play, the excess was cut off.
Now, after owning the truck for 40 years, it's getting a replacement GM performance crate engine and I will probably go the Lokar route for a klittle nicer appearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom