Pulling the trigger on a 97 Prado RX 3.0L Diesel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Fellow Forum Members,
Newbee here, but a gear-head at heart since the age of 14, soon to be 68 years very old this month. Have owned 4 diesel military trucks over years and three Tacoma s, but this is my first Landcruiser Prado, 3 Door RZ. Not a lot of history on this import, but it seems to well maintained, a rust-free body and frame and a cherry interior. The downside.... 206,000 miles (not km's)! Please tell me $9K is a fair price? I've been looking a 90 or 95 for several months now but prices are up over $20k. The dealer has sent me a video and 26 pictures and he has done a "complete fluid and filter change" . I'm having a 3rd party mechanic inspect it tomorrow. If everything goes well it will get shipped up here next week. My research is telling me that these 3.0 Intercooled Diesels will go to 500K miles, if properly maintained. What should I tackle first? I'm thinking a good review of the coolent system, transmission (automatic) and clean the Intercooler. In my other 4 diesels, they either had a block heater or I had added one. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks very much!

637963571819791390.jpg

I had looked at that one online (Brian's in NJ). Seems to be an ok deal, especially if things check out. I'd ask to have any records of major maintenance such as the timing belt, injectors, glow plugs - some of these may be represented by Japanese-language stickers in the engine compartment (and my Android phone translated them for me). That will then determine what you should prioritize.

Thanks Joe! They don't have any records, but there is Japanese Labels on the Timing Belt Cover. Over my months of research and given my limited budget, the 4 or 5, 90 and 95's that I have inquired about, no one had records from those inputs. Question.... is there a way to translate any of these stickers? Thanks!

Sorry about the Brain Cramp, do you use an app on Android to translate those stickers?

29162.jpeg

Sorry about the Brain Cramp, do you use an app on Android to translate those stickers?

View attachment 3559515
It's hard to read from the blurry picture but that sticker is related to the timing belt. Looks like it might say 3xx,xxx which would be the km it was changed at - total guess from what I could read and what I remember from an import I owned (Suzuki Jimny).

The best bet is to use the Google Translate app. It has an option where it can translate from a picture or translate directly from your camera.

Just trying to do the conversions in my head, and I'm not that familiar with the 2 door version, those price to KMs seems reasonable. As mentioned it really comes down to how the motors been looked after. Theirs a couple of things that can occur with this engine that won't be immediately obvious but will kick you in the ass soon enough. That is worn rings from the car being flogged out and another big one I've experienced was piston/cylinder damage from an old glow plug tip becoming brittle and snapping off. Both these problems have cost me a lot of money.

Symptoms for the knackered rings were a very strong (nostril burning) smell from the exhaust but no smoke. Just reeeallly fumey! And blow-by was fairly obvious by removing the oil filler cap and resting the cap upside down on the oil filler hole. Would easily knock the cap off.

Symptoms of glow plug tip/cylinder wear were virtually non existent as I didn't have a reference point for power and fuel economy. But effectively the engine was working harder for the same amount of power.

Without detailed service history, my post purchase to do list would look something like this:

- replace entire cooling system as soon as the very first sign of overheating. I know this sounds extreme but it's actually quite affordable to do and an easy DIY. Excellent peace of mind! Maybe give it a drain and flush upon purchase as preventative maintenance.
- replace all 4 glow plugs immediately.
- remove and clean out the EGR and intake system (blank if you're allowed).

That's all I can think of for now. Feel free to ask questions or search the group for some of the great chats we've been having lately 👍😎

Thanks guys, appreciate the very valuable and detailed responses. I was talking to my neighbor this afternoon, who is a diesel mechanic for a large paving company and he expressed the same concerns, especially not knowing the truck's maintenance history. With 306KM's, he was also concerned about the tranny, steering and front-end components. He said I may be looking at $5k-9k in possible future repairs. Inspection is tomorrow, so we'll see. I do have a backup RZ that I've been negotiating with. We are at $12K and it's has very low KM'S, with some documentation on the Timing Belt, etc replacements.

Neither I nor my camera can make out the picture well enough to translate it. If you have Android 14, there is a Translate app on the phone that can use the camera and translate to/from Japanese <--> English. Unsure when Google started shipping this app so I don't know if it's in older versions.

The tranny in this 90 was used in numerous other Toyotas here in the States, so should it be an issue, a rebuild or swap is very do-able. However, the A343F is damn stout, I'd just drain and fill and go on my way (which is what I'm doing w/ my new 90). Front-end components - except for steering rack - are available at your local Toyota dealer, just ask for parts from a 1997 4Runner.

@KiwiBogan set things straight with the things that need to be addressed immediately, which I too plan to do asap.

I ack that getting full service records is probably not feasible, but any indications this thing was tended to would set my mind at ease. Any idea how long it's been in the States? did PO do any work? How much of a project do you want? ;)

Thanks Joe, a bit concerning..... It's been at the dealership since June of 2023 when it purchased from at a "auction". I was told that 2 of the owners drove it during the Summer and put 2000 miles on it. I don't know when they put it up for sale. Hopefully my inspector/mechanic shows today and completes the road test and inspection.

Good Morning All,
Unfortunately my inspection completed on Saturday, which was very thorough yielded some concerning issues and I'm going to PASS on this Prada. Mechanical it passed, but numerous issues such as moderate rust issues on the undercarriage and oddly on the inside too! The passenger front tire was severely worn??? Many other issues inside the Prado were noted including that the climate control buttons and sunroof are inoperable. A whole lot of cosmetic issues which went well beyond normal wear & tear. So I'm going to plan B. I'll update my progress tomorrow.

Morning All,
My second choice us a done deal. Its a 97 LandCruser Prado RX with 162,000KM's. Timing Belt was done at 90,000KM. It appears to be in very good shape. It will begin it's trip from CA to NH later this week.

Very nice, looks clean!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom