PTO Winch Shear Pin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[QUOTE="Sooke, post: 10766853, member: 84720.

I use the chain hoists in the fire service fairly regularly for vehicle extrication/rescue/recovery.

Cody

Do you have a recommendation in terms of the size of the chain hoist? I was going to get a 3 ton but if I could get away with a smaller one I'd rather save space in the truck.

Pete[/QUOTE]

I use 2.5 and 3.5 ton hoists at work and there is not too much of a difference in size albeit in weight. Personally I wouldn't go smaller than the 3 ton you were thinking of.

If it has a safe working load (SWL) of 3 ton with a 4:1 safety ratio, and you use a 2:1 or even 3:1 mechanical advantage system when using the device to extricate your vehicle, you could expect a "pull" factor of roughly 6000lbs for a 2:1 or 9000lbs for a 3:1 not including your losses to friction. If you feel that this would be a reasonable amount of force to possibly "free" your stuck vehicle, then I would not go any smaller.

With the 4:1 safety ratio built into the device you could even push the working limit of the unit past the rated 3 ton limit in rare circumstances and get an even higher "pull" factor with a 2:1 or 3:1 mechanical advantage.

Cody

A Braden MU2 is rated at 8,000 lbs with a 1/4" shear pin, and 10,000 lbs with a 5/16" shear pin.

That's interesting. Of course ultimately the gearing would have a huge affect on the shear pin rating. Wonder how they compare gear ratio wise to the Toyota winch.

Pete

I have one (well a rear mount version, MS3), I could turn the input shaft and count how many rotations to get the drum to go around once. I think I already did that, but don't remember the count. Not sure when I can get to it, will post when I can. It's a much beefier winch, I was surprised to see it only rated for 8,000. Maybe the shearing point of the pin?

Last edited:
I couldn't find proof of the shear pin diameter rating, this does say that it's determined by shear pin diameter though. I forget where I saw it at.
image.png

Im sure that's right. All I'm saying is that if the gear box on the winch is different than the ratio on the Toyota winch the shear rating on the pin will translate to a different line load.

Pete

Do you have a recommendation in terms of the size of the chain hoist? I was going to get a 3 ton but if I could get away with a smaller one I'd rather save space in the truck.

Pete

I use 2.5 and 3.5 ton hoists at work and there is not too much of a difference in size albeit in weight. Personally I wouldn't go smaller than the 3 ton you were thinking of.

If it has a safe working load (SWL) of 3 ton with a 4:1 safety ratio, and you use a 2:1 or even 3:1 mechanical advantage system when using the device to extricate your vehicle, you could expect a "pull" factor of roughly 6000lbs for a 2:1 or 9000lbs for a 3:1 not including your losses to friction. If you feel that this would be a reasonable amount of force to possibly "free" your stuck vehicle, then I would not go any smaller.

With the 4:1 safety ratio built into the device you could even push the working limit of the unit past the rated 3 ton limit in rare circumstances and get an even higher "pull" factor with a 2:1 or 3:1 mechanical advantage.

Cody[/QUOTE]
The 3 ton capacity is for lifting, winches which are used for pulling have a higher pulling capacity but are always labeled to not use to lift objects.

Cody
The 3 ton capacity is for lifting, winches which are used for pulling have a higher pulling capacity but are always labeled to not use to lift objects.[/QUOTE]
We are discussing chain hoists which can be used for pulling or lifting. Rated capacity is rated capacity regardless if it is pulling or lifting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom