PTO Winch shaft rattle - What is going on here? <Videos Fixed, thanks Bilt4me> (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my rig is a HDJ80 with PTO winch. I recently had to use the winch when taking the "shortcut" from Volcano Arenal to Monteverde when my kids were visiting. There was a small landslide blocking the road but it had two ruts in it from another vehicle already having crossed it. I went for it and it was like driving into a pile of peanut butter. Luckily we were able to winch through and the PTO winch worked perfectly.

But later we noticed a new rattle under the car. I crawled under and I think the rattle is coming from the first section of PTO shaft out of the transfer case. What is going on here? Look like the shaft is pulled out a bit and very sloppy/loose. What is going on here?

Last edited:
Your videos are private.

Upload video to YouTube then provide a link.

Looks like every farm tracor PTO shaft I've ever seen.
How fast does that shaft spin? Couple hundred RPM or a couple thousand?
If it's a fast spinning shaft, I think I'd want to get the splines tighter. No idea if the parts even still exist, might have to salvage something off a small truck and rebuild from there.

On a side note, I'm jelous, I want a PTO on my 80.

It just looks like a worn out splined section of the shaft.

It also looks to me that there should be more spline engagement. Like it's pulled too far out. However, if it's OEM and never been touched I'd think maybe it's normal. And it may be as designed to allow enough slip to remove it?

Either way, it's sloppy because its worn out and needs to be repaired or replaced. It still works as is so that's a plus.

Yes, your splines (yoke) are worn out.
If I'm correct, that shaft should spin the same RPM as your driveshaft because it is related to the gearing in the winch and the spool. It may even turn faster.

I suggest you take it to place that rebuilds drive shafts and have them cut off and install a new yoke.
You may also need a new carrier bearing in the middle.
Check the far end of the shaft where it connects to the winch, it's probably worn out too.

This is a driveshaft and it must be built like one and greased and maintained like one. U-joints, slip yokes, and all.

I'd love to have a PTO winch!

Would it be possible to source the oem parts for a pto winch and add it to a us spec 80 series?

Just turn the radio up louder. A rattly PTO shaft will never leave you stranded.

But if you want to get extreme with it you can do what i did on my 70 series and replace the PTO shaft universal joints with little CVs . the smallest CVs i could find in nz were from a Nissan x trail. I don't know whats vehicle parts you have available where you are. My PTO drive shaft is realy short because i mounted my winch just behind the transfer case . But the same can be done with a 4 piece pto drive shaft (or whatever it is on an 80 series)
DSCN3768.JPG

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom