Propane Cylinder/Tank size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to carry a propane cylinder or tank in the vehicle. I am looking for smaller than a BBQ...I just can't remember the size of the version that fits into a milk crate. Help!

Typical BBQ propane tank are the 20lb variety. If you're looking for a smaller one there are 10-lb and 5-lb versions.

The standard steel 20lb that you get from a cylinder exchange fit in a milk crate. That's probably more than you need in your rig unless you're out with a large group or for a long time, so I agree with looking at the five or ten pound cylinders for your needs.

Yes, the 10 or 11 lb cylinders are the ticket.

I carry a 5 lb for my skottle and i can run it for days. 10 day trip and it never ran out. $3 to fill which beats the hell out of the price for the little green ones. Expensive though. Like $70

I carry a 5 lb for my skottle and i can run it for days. 10 day trip and it never ran out. $3 to fill which beats the hell out of the price for the little green ones. Expensive though. Like $70
Yep for some reason the 5 lbs tanks cost about 50% more than a 11 lb one even though they hold half as much. Must be that Common Core math?

Yep for some reason the 5 lbs tanks cost about 50% more than a 11 lb one even though they hold half as much. Must be that Common Core math?

There is no mystery here about the cost.

Many more people buy the 20lb tank than the 11lb tank and buy even less of the 5lb tank. So the fixed cost of production, transport, packing are amortized over fewer units. That's the major reason but also there is just more metal per gallon in the smaller tank, and the valve costs the same whether you put it on a 20lb tank or a 5lb tank.

^yea yea, all that, but it still is damn annoying... :)

Yeah, I have a 5# and a 10# (and the 20#) and the 5# is really all I've ever needed on a trip of any length. I bring along a couple of the 1# just in case and for lanterns, torches and such...

I use 3-11 pounders....I just satellite them all over camp for lighting, cooking, and fireplace functions.

I use the 1lb tanks but I just using it for hte grill and and the space heater on occasion. easy to get anywhere such as dicks and I had my dad pick me upa 6 pack of tanks from bjs wholesale for about 1-2 $ per tank

^some folks think they are not necessarily throwaway... at least not right away... :hmm:

if you're going to refill 1lb tanks anyway, might as well get the better built refillable ones. They're worth the additional cost for peace of mind, and that feeling of virtuousness.

well, who woulda thought... I did not know those refillable ones exist. I'm surprised REI of all places would have them. But good to know.
Not that I would do that, of course, but I've seen the nominally disposable ones bulging quite a bit after a refill or 2 - they do seem to come in various levels of sturdiness. Needless to say, it is better to do any transfers or refills way outside...

well, who woulda thought... I did not know those refillable ones exist. I'm surprised REI of all places would have them. But good to know.
Not that I would do that, of course, but I've seen the nominally disposable ones bulging quite a bit after a refill or 2 - they do seem to come in various levels of sturdiness. Needless to say, it is better to do any transfers or refills way outside...

The non-refillable 1 lb tanks use cheap pressure relief valves. The refillable ones from flame king use much better relief valves and manual valves that allow much more complete filling and avoid over-filling.

To put this thread back on-topic, I would point out that 5 of these refillable 1-lb tanks are about the same cost as a 5-lb tank. I use the 1-lb cylinders with my portable bbq and, using an adapter, with my backpacking butane stove for quick morning coffee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom