Project '75 FJ40---- First steps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just aquired a 1975 FJ40 has rust on rear sill and on floor under driver seat. Can panels be purchased on floor, or do I just need to look for a complete tub. Also looking to upgrade to power steering, saw a kit that is $399+ steering box from '79-85 pick-up anyone installed this, it almost looks like I can get that steering pump anywhere. Any ideas???:)

Welcome to Mud as I am new as well... Use the mud search button above and read the FAQ put together. You can find answers to 'almost' any question you have...

Congrats on the pick up

If the worst your tub has is a rusted rear sill and driver floor then consider yourself in good shape. There are quite a few vendors supplying part to repair these area's. You can start with places like Pacol, Cruiser Solution and Cool Cruisers, just to name a few. Like Saintdog said, the search button on this website is your friend.

As for power steering do a little research on this site before you just jump in. I've spent a lot of time on this site reading and searching and found that a lot of my inital plans for my truck changed because of what I read here.

Good luck with the project.

If the worst your tub has is a rusted rear sill and driver floor then consider yourself in good shape. There are quite a few vendors supplying part to repair these area's. You can start with places like Pacol, Cruiser Solution and Cool Cruisers, just to name a few. Like Saintdog said, the search button on this website is your friend.

As for power steering do a little research on this site before you just jump in. I've spent a lot of time on this site reading and searching and found that a lot of my inital plans for my truck changed because of what I read here.

Good luck with the project.

I purchased an entire tub/firewall from PACOL should be ready in a few weeks. They have a good rep on the forum and their product seems to be outstanding.

You probably do not need an entire tub...but you may be chasing rust forever. Welcome to the madness!

Doc

I'll add this, I got my panels from real steel cruiser parts. They are local to me and basically just make patch panels for the front floor. They are much cheaper than other vendors, but will require a lot more work since you will be patching rather than replacing entire sections. I got a passenger rear quarter, driver floor, passenger floor (no fuel tank area), area behind transmission, and a complete rear sill for about $800. A few other vendors wanted that much just for the front floor not including shipping. I think it just boils down to how much work you want to do vs. how much you want the vendor to do. Pacol and Pilgrims front floors look great and I probably would have gone that direction if money wasnt a concern. Just my $.02.

Now tearing in to it, I want to do a rust stopping product like Rust bullet or por15 then spray a raptor liner in it.
The pics show the rear sill before and the new one we fabbed.:cool:
DSCN5278.jpg
DSCN5303.jpg

for the floor pans, talk to SouthBostonFJ here on 'Mud, he imports Ehsan's parts from Pakistan, and overall, they're pretty good, I'm working with a set of their rocker panels.

Good luck!

Been cutting out rust and patching in new sheet metal in problem areas. Also ordered some Rust Bullet, I wish they made a Rust Grenade! JK. Priced out arma coat and linex they were $750-$1000 just for the tub, so I ordered the U-Pol Raptor liner spray-in kit for $100.
DSCN5343.jpg

for the floor pans, talk to SouthBostonFJ here on 'Mud, he imports Ehsan's parts from Pakistan, and overall, they're pretty good, I'm working with a set of their rocker panels.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info I emailed my request to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom