Project 16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dang Shawn. That looks really good. Nice job.

very nice!

I had Brock welding today. we started the under bed tool box and he tacked the bottom bracket together. the pics got lost on the camera somewhere, so I'll get some when we get more steel and make the top.

getting back on this project. summer is time for my many hobbies...:rolleyes: winter gets too cold for my wimpy a$$.:crybaby: time to buck up and get this done! fenders to be bent up on Sunday! got the tubing today. I had 1.5" for it but would have to buy a bender die for about $300. it was $130 for 1.25" tubing and justncse has a die for it and just made his fenders, so measurements are already done. I'll get pics.:cool:

got the fenders bent up today with jstncse, and a big thanks to him for the help and use of his bender. here are the parts and Brock holding them in place. we will mock them in and tack them up this week.

DSCF0996.JPG

DSCF0998.JPG

DSCF0997.JPG

got some work done today with 3 generations of us. my parents are visiting, so my dad, myself and my son all got the first fender on. final pics to come tomorrow, but here are the mock up ones.
DSCF1002.JPG
DSCF1003.JPG

got both fenders done except the skins and center brace. first is pics of the mounting. we made them removable, so a bolt on bracket front with a nut welded inside, and the back has an inner sleeve with a hole for a bolt. I will make a center support as well that will bolt on one end or the other.
DSCF1005.JPG
DSCF1011.JPG
DSCF1009.JPG

here is the second side being made and the final mounting.

DSCF1006.JPG
DSCF1010.JPG
DSCF1008.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good

this week we have tackled the FZJ80 under dash wiring harness. over 50% of it is now gone, though you can't tell from the pics. :D there are a few wires that I am labeling that will have to be extended, since I don't have the other parts to the harness that go back from the doors. there are a few things still to cull out, but it's getting closer!
IMG_20141103_202323.jpg
IMG_20141103_202351.jpg

Looks like a nightmare.

Looks like a nightmare.

Nah. They all look like that all taken apart.

Shawn: suggestion so that you have "correct" wire for lengthening the stuff you need: go buy a wiring harness out of a Toyota at a junkyard. Just about any will do. Then you'll have lots of wire to snip and splice from.

*that is, if you value having the "correct" wiring nomenclature on all the custom work.

Dan

actually, I bought a bunch of new wire and am keeping the longer pieces from this one for that very purpose.
Marc, it's not as bad as it looks. mostly time consuming. the wiring diagrams in the FSM are great. it's just going through all 22 pages to find 1 wire in a certain connector takes 3 or 4 minutes. the early part was faster because I knew what several connectors already were and just traced back and cut out those. i.e.-air bags, ABS system, etc. I'm going wire by wire now to find out what the unknown connectors are. all but 1 are gone.

actually, I bought a bunch of new wire and am keeping the longer pieces from this one for that very purpose.

Better you than me brother! I'd be having an anal-retentive breakdown just thinking about non-Toyota wires, that may even be *gasp* the wrong color!

*Yes, I have a problem and I know it.*

The other bonus for a spare harness is the connectors. You can re-pin Toyota connectors pretty easily with a small pick, which means you can mix and match wiring harnesses pretty easily.

You're definitely doing it the easy way though--with it out of the truck. For some reason, I nearly always forget how much better of a job I can do if I simply remove the whole harness, and putting it back in only takes 15 minutes or so...

Dan

well, I had to pull the harness from an 80 at the El Paso u-pull yard. so it was out already. I have some of that sickness. the new wires were bought from a cruiser guy here on mud that sells them. it will have the correct color wires. I have Pappy's weather proof connectors to put on it where I need to. I still should find an 80 in a yard and get the harness that runs under the front seats. it would make life a bunch easier.

more done today, and I'm mostly labeling what is what. pics would just look the same...

Better you than me brother! I'd be having an anal-retentive breakdown just thinking about non-Toyota wires, that may even be *gasp* the wrong color!

*Yes, I have a problem and I know it.*

I'd be right there with you too, Dan.

got a little time to work on the under bed tool box. Brock got to tack it together. he was very excited to get to weld.
DSCF1015.JPG

the thread is still alive! we skinned the fenders and shot some primer on them. thing were slow for the winter as work got more of my time. but motivation is back up and we are moving forward...

DSCF1298.JPG
DSCF1300.JPG
DSCF1303.JPG

one more from underneath

DSCF1301.JPG

Almost time for the trail!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom