Project 16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok, back into it. no excuses with this weather!

got the rear plate for tail lights trimmed and mocked in. then got roll cage hoops bent with some help from Frank.

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_20160223_120903.jpg

Brock and I tacked in the rear cage. it will get some diagonals in the corners. then on to cutting out the tail light ovals.

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

also got the rear hoop of the cab cage tacked in and put some final welds on the bed cage

IMG_0071.JPG

very nice!!!! Did you use a tubing notcher ?

yes. I have a cheap harbor freight one that goes on my drill press.

Looks good!

I put doors on it in order to get dimensions for the front cage(pic 1). it's starting to look like a cruiser! BUT, that brought to light a problem. the driver door opening is tweaked. it didn't surprise me, because I knew the truck had likely been hit just behind the driver door in the past. the frame from the body (that was made into a trailer) showed evidence of it. I tried to adjust the door from 2 directions, but it still was too narrow at the top of the opening and the door hung low.
pic 2- driver door forced shut. note the angle of the door top to bottom and along the bottom
pic 3- passenger door with plenty of room.

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

I tried several ways to adjust the door with the hinges, removed them from the body side and bent them to pull the top of the door forward, no change other than the door now hits the hinge:bang:.
soooooo, some creative use of monster power tools opened the top of the opening by force. and it worked! both back and bottom lines are close enough now. I'll see later what I did to screw something else up, I'm sure.:lol:

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

ok, I have been given the time schedule by SWMBO. June (holy crap WHAT?!). she wants to go to Rubithon with this and my 40. works re-starts now! back to top

I never posted that last additions to the roll cage. this happened a while ago.
003.JPG
002.JPG

still working on it. it's moving faster now. all the updates are in the thread in the hardcore section.
Project 16

got the battery tray tacked in. it incorporates the radiator support in it. heat shielding will be added to the top part. ordered parts are starting to roll in heavy now, so things should move a little faster. gauges are here, brake switch and proprtioning valve. tie rod ends and bungs are due anytime.

img_1858-jpg.1537050

Looks good - More progress! Any guesses when we might see it out for a shakedown run?

we'll see. I hope to test fire the engine within a month. then lots of wiring finalizing, drive shafts and a cut and turn on the front axle. oh and all new brake lines. most of the parts are here now, so more work is getting done. but hunting season starts in 2 weeks, with the boys elk hunt. hoping before next summer it will be driving.

we'll see. I hope to test fire the engine within a month. then lots of wiring finalizing, drive shafts and a cut and turn on the front axle. oh and all new brake lines. most of the parts are here now, so more work is getting done. but hunting season starts in 2 weeks, with the boys elk hunt. hoping before next summer it will be driving.

You're getting there! It will be a one-of-a-kind, that's for sure. Can't wait to see it.

ok, here it is! another slow build project. Mike, I'll paint something so you can watch the paint dry on it so you don't get bored. :D

I may change the name of the project at any time. it is for my boys when they are 16, they will help build it and it will hopefully be done by the time Brock is 16. that gives us 7 years. :popcorn:

Do I hear crickets? Page 5? Really? And what college is Brock headed to? :flipoff2:

NM Tech. I am getting him motivated. he has been sanding and doing some painting. the electrical is actually connected to the colmn. dash and gauges are next. I've showed him how to make brake lines and we'll do those together soon. I haven't posted, but I'll get some update photos for you all.

Considering all the grief I took on my project I thought I would pay it forward in Mike's absence. :) Glad to hear it's coming along.

I can take it. it has been slow.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom