Primer questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a fj40 that ive been working on last couple years or so off and on, I have cut all the rust out and replaced with new metal, had some spots thats just surface rust and I wire wheeled down. My question is and I cant find a straight answer! there is good paint from 1964 on my 40. Theres no rust under it and no indication of any flaws and panels are straight as can be so should I put a self etch primer on it or epoxy? I have some body work to do still between hammer and dolly and a little filler but am confused on what to do with the original paint thats still good. Just dont see why I would take the paint off to bare metal if it's still good paint.
Any help or suggestions would be awsome

Thanks

Last edited:
The difference between etch primer and epoxy primer is the build. Epoxy will etch and is also a good filler primer. The etch primer is just that. An etch. Is is water thin and will give no build. You can either etch, body work, then prime. Or bodywork and then use an epoxy over the top. Epoxy is very strong and very durable. But you must sand it within a couple weeks. If it's sits for too long it will take forever to sand! Almost have to bust out a DA to get it smoothed out of it sits too long.

Yeah absolutely! You can repaint over the factory paint too. Only need primer on bare metal and anywhere there is body work or scratches you are trying to cover up.

Right on thanks! The primer I was going to use was ppg. I have hardly any filler I need to do but ive been trying to get ahold.of house of colors to see if there paint would be good with ppg. In not to experienced with paint but can hold my own. If you could answer another question, when I primer and sand and do a little fill work over the primer is it easier to see the high and low spots if I use a cheap spray can to shoot like a mist on it to have a guide or just use long block and a palm sander?

Usually what I'll do is spray the primer. Then head to walmart and buy a $1 spray can of flat black. Gloss tends to clog up the sand paper when you sand. The flat black won't. Just throw a fine mist over the primer. You don't need to have a heavy coat. Then block your primer with 400 grit or 600 grit. Anything finer then that and you may end up with adhesion problems. I don't ever use a palm sander to sand my primer. You run the risk of causing ripples or digging into the primer with a palm sander. When you block it the low spots will stay black. That's where you need more filler. Sand with 120 in that area and fill. Take a microfiber towel and and run it over the body filler. You'll be surprised what you thought felt good by hand doesn't feel good with a rag. If it feels ok, throw some more primer and block again with 400 or 600.

HOK paints can be used with any primer and any clears. Paint is just color. As long as your not using lacquer primer you will have no issues. Anyone's paint is compatible with anyone's primer and clear. As long as it's prepped right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom